Rahul Gandhi denied permission to visit violence-hit Saharanpur Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi on Saturday left for strife-torn Saharanpur, but district authorities said he would be stopped at the border.Party sources said Rahul left for Shabbirpur village, the centre of the caste violence in the district, by road on Saturday morning after meeting Congress president Sonia Gandhi.ADGP (Law and Order) Aditya Misra, who is camping in Saharanpur in view of the tense situation there, said the police have requested Mr. Gandhi to cancel his visit to avoid any “confusion and provocation“.”If he still comes to the town, he will be stopped at the border and requested to return. But if he does not, legal action under Section 144 of CrPC, which prohibits an assembly of more than four people in an area, will be taken,” he said.If not permitted to visit the victims in the affected area, Mr. Gandhi would court arrest, the Congress sources said.The ADGP said normality was returning and things were improving fast.Senior Congress leader P L Punia said over the phone that party men were awaiting Mr. Gandhi in the district.Also Read “We want the administration to allow him to meet the victims of the violence,” he said.Mr. Gandhi is being accompanied by AICC general secretary in charge of Uttar Pradsh affairs Ghulam Nabi Azad, and State Congress chief Raj Babbar.“They cannot suppress the voice of the poor, Dalits and Adivasis of this country. Mr. Rahul Gandhi and the Congress party will continue to speak,” Congress spokesperson Randeep Surjewala said.“Nobody will be able to stop Mr. Gandhi from reaching out to the victims of the violence, which have been perpetrated at the instance of BJP gundas,” he added.Saharanpur witnessed widespread caste-based violence this month.Violence first broke out about 40 days ago following a procession to mark Ambedkar Jayanti. On May 5, a person was killed and 15 people were injured in communal clashes.About a dozen police vehicles were set ablaze and 12 policemen injured on May 9.On May 23, One person was shot dead and two were wounded, following which the government suspended the SSP and district magistrate and transferred the divisional commissioner and the deputy inspector general of police.The Centre has sent 400 anti-riot police personnel to Saharanpur to help the State restore peace in the region.
India’s second largest domestic airline, SpiceJet on Monday announced its new fare scheme.As per the new scheme, tickets will be available from ₹499 per head with a travel validity period between 16 January and 24 October 2015.Passengers have been given only three days time to book the tickets, effective from Monday (1 September) till Wednesday, which is applicable on all direct, via and connecting flights on SpiceJet’s domestic network, the airline said in a press release.The company added that this offer includes one way fares and fuel surcharge excluding statutory tax and fees.”While the number of travellers opting for air travel during holidays has increased over the years, with the introduction of Early Bird sale, this number will only grow further. This early bird sale will encourage customers to make their holiday plans well in advance and save on travel costs at the same time,” NDTV quoted Kaneswaran Avili, Chief Commercial Officer, of SpiceJet in a press statement.”This will also allow an average Indian customer to plan for more than the typical one holiday during the year at never before rates,” Avili added.Last week, SpiceJet also announced a similar scheme offering tickets starting at ₹1,888 across its domestic destinations.The low fare airline controlled by billionaire Kalanithi Maran operates more than 330 daily flights to 48 destinations, which includes 41 Indian cities and 7 international destinations.Air India too wooed its customers on Wednesday by offering tickets at ₹100, but its website crashed on the first day of the offer with a message on the official website reading – “Service Unavailable” and “System Busy” message.
Map of RajshahiUnidentified miscreants have allegedly abducted two college teachers from Charghat upazila of Rajshahi on Saturday afternoon. One of the teachers returned his home in the evening while other remains missing, their relatives said.The victims, Bazlur Rahman, lecturer of political science of Charghat Dakra Degree College, and Shafiqur Rahman Ujjal of the English department of the same college, were picked up at around 11 am while they returning home by motorbike.Eyewitnesses said they were intercepted by another motorbike in front of Anupampur High School while several other persons in a microbus picked them up. The microbus then whisked them off towards Charghat upazila sadar.Bazlur Rahman later returned home in the evening as the abductors left him at Dashuriya of Pabna district. Bazlur said, he couldn’t recognize the abductors and doesn’t have any clue as to why they were picked up.Law enforcers have denied any involvement in the incident.Officer-in-Charge of Charghat police station, Nazrul Islam told Prothom Alo that they know nothing of the incident. But the police is now searching for the abducted teacher.Deputy commander of RAB-5 Ashraful Islam also denied that they conducted any such operation. The force is also looking for the whereabouts of the teacher, he claimed.
A five-story residential building tilted at Khalifaghat in the city’s Kamrangirchar area on Monday, reports UNB.Dana Mia, an operator of Fire Service and Civil Defence control room, said being informed by locals, a team of firefighters went to the spot around 12:44pm and all the residents of the building were evacuated.UNB Keraniganj Correspondent reports that residents of four more adjacent buildings of the area were also evacuated fearing danger.Shahin Fakir, officer-in-charge of Kamrangirchar police station, said the five-story building was built in the area six months ago and one Samad Mia bought the building from its previous owner Shaheen in January.The firefighting unit members said the building was built without doing the pilling work properly.
Multi-territory Asian video streaming service Viu has struck an original content deal with tech-driven story firm Wattpad. Together they aim to develop film and TV series under the Viu Original label.Canada-based Wattpad hosts a vast library of user-generated stories, with a claimed user base of 80 million, including 22 million in the Asia Pacific region. Some stories have been developed into films, with Anna Todd’s “After” the best-known example. It accumulated a billion online views on Wattpad before being adapted into a film, directed by Jenny Gage, that with a $69.5 million global box office is one of the highest grossing indie movies of this year.Other companies in Asia that have struck similar deals with Wattpad include Sony Pictures Television, Mediacorp, and Huayi Brothers Korea. “Wattpad has its finger on the pulse of youth culture, and with this collaboration we are able to enable the youth to connect global audiences on Viu’s engaged base,” said Helen Sou, senior VP, digital media, at Viu’s parent company PCCW Media. Viu, which primarily focuses on premium Asian content, operates across 17 markets in Southeast Asia, the Middle East, India, and South Africa.Viu productions include an adaptation of global phenomenon, “The Bridge,” which is available on HBO Asia’s channels and services throughout Asia, and experimental regional format, “No Sleep, No FOMO.” Viu plans to have over 80 scripted and non-scripted Viu Original titles this year.PCCW owns Hong Kong’s leading pay-TV service NowTV, a recently-launched free to air channel and is the territory’s leading fixed line phone operator. It also owns a minority stake in STX Entertainment. Popular on Variety ×Actors Reveal Their Favorite Disney PrincessesSeveral actors, like Daisy Ridley, Awkwafina, Jeff Goldblum and Gina Rodriguez, reveal their favorite Disney princesses. Rapunzel, Mulan, Ariel,Tiana, Sleeping Beauty and Jasmine all got some love from the Disney stars.More VideosVolume 0%Press shift question mark to access a list of keyboard shortcutsKeyboard Shortcutsplay/pauseincrease volumedecrease volumeseek forwardsseek backwardstoggle captionstoggle fullscreenmute/unmuteseek to %SPACE↑↓→←cfm0-9Next UpJennifer Lopez Shares How She Became a Mogul04:350.5x1x1.25×1.5x2xLive00:0002:1502:15
Elegance, grace and celebrating womanhood in style is what designer Nitya Bajaj’s new collection is all about. Aptly titled Resurrect, the collection is inspired by interiors of the Kloster Cathedral in Germany.The collection highlights romanticism along with baroque elements which is reflected in each garment. We loved the entire collection depicting floral in thread work, print, digital prints and a lot of lace work. Each garment – gowns and swim dresses shared hints of transparency with fabric interplay by lace, tulle, georgette, organza and chiffon. The pearl palettes merges into shades of gold and copper with olive and ochre colours taken from the church frescos. These are depicted with intricate beadwork and sequins ending the collection in the palette of maroons and crimsons. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’Mother’s walking the ramp with their children was an adorable way to celebrate every aspect of womanhood. The show stopper for the evening was actor Elli Avram who walked the ramp in a stunning outfit from the collection. She wore a beautiful red gown with sequins work in the front, depicted ethereal luxury, celebrating multicultural, multifaceted lifestyles of women today who believe in timeless pieces of art.‘Fashion is an individual statement and a designer enhances that individuality with his or her signature. My label celebrates womanhood, the femininity, the elegance and the power of being She,’ Bajaj said.
Kolkata: Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday announced that the state government would construct a Jagannath temple near Jagannath Ghat in Digha, which has already emerged as a major tourist destination.Banerjee was speaking at the administrative review meeting in East Midnapore. The Jagannath temple would be set up in the district along the footsteps of the temple in Puri, where large numbers of devotees congregate to offer their prayers. Also Read – Rain batters Kolkata, cripples normal life”We are going to construct a temple at Jagannath Ghat in Digha, similar to Puri. The ghat would also be renovated. The Jagannath temple that we see in Puri had been constructed many years ago. We are developing a temple here keeping it in mind,” the Chief Minister said. She instructed the state Tourism department to prepare a Detailed Project Report (DPR) after discussing the matter in detail with the district administration. It may be mentioned here that after coming to power, the Mamata Banerjee government had taken up a beautification drive in the beach town and along the sea shore. Since then, the footfall of tourists in Digha and other beach towns in the district has gone up significantly. Also Read – Speeding Jaguar crashes into Mercedes car in Kolkata, 2 pedestrians killedDuring her meeting with the administrative officials, Banerjee inquired about the latest status of the 3 marine bridges which she had proposed 3-4 years ago. The officials told her that the construction of two bridges would be started within one year, while the third one would take some time. The Chief Minister advised the Public Works Department (PWD) to start all the three projects simultaneously. She instructed the government officials to expedite the project. Banerjee announced that construction of the International Convention Centre at Digha would be completed within the next two months. She laid a great emphasis on the cleanliness of the place. She instructed the local administration to consider if the local Nuliahs (sea divers) can be inducted under the 100 days work scheme to maintain cleanliness of the beach town. “Digha has emerged to be one of the key tourist places in the state. A large number of people visit the place every day. Maintaining cleanliness must be the top priority. The Nuliahs who act as civic defense workers during any incident, can be engaged in two shifts for maintaining cleanliness,” she added. She also expressed her dissatisfaction over the overdue wages of the Nuliahs. She wanted to know from the administrative officials why they have not been getting money since September. They get a wage of Rs 300 per day and they work 25 days a month. “Those who save the lives of others risking their own, are not getting their wages. They should be brought under the Swasthya Sathi scheme. Take necessary steps to disburse their dues on immediate basis,” Banerjee told the district administration. She also stated that Tajpur port will be constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 12,000 crore, where various other ancillaries would come up, creating job opportunities. A fund of Rs 17,000 crore has already been invested for various projects in the district, while many others worth nearly Rs 8,600 crore are in the pipeline. She also inquired about the various fishery development schemes that are being run in the district. She proposed to set up a fish land bank and marketing centres where the fishermen can sell their catches. In reply to a question posed by state Transport minister Suvendu Adhikari, the Chief Minister asked the Home Secretary to expedite the investigation into the disappearance of people from Nandigram that took place during the Left Front regime. The CID has been investigating the case.
If you are worried about Facebook tracking your web activities outside Facebook, you can now prevent it from doing so using the Facebook Container extension for Firefox, that Mozilla launched on Wednesday. This extension is supported in Firefox 57 and higher on Desktop but does not work on other browsers and Firefox for mobile. Facebook Container extension, which goes by the tagline “What happens outside Facebook stays outside of Facebook”, isolates your Facebook identity into a separate container. And, hence makes it difficult for Facebook from tracking your activities outside the social media platform with third-party cookies. Facebook Container extension will close your Facebook tabs, delete your Facebook cookies, and log you out of Facebook. All the non-Facebook links you click on or non-Facebook websites you navigate to will be loaded outside of the container. To prevent Facebook from associating information about user activity on websites outside of Facebook to their Facebook identity, embedded Facebook comments and like buttons in tabs outside the Facebook Container will not work. Additionally, the “directly sign-in with Facebook credentials” option on other websites will not work properly, as it is designed to separate Facebook use from use of other websites. The extension is not meant for stopping Facebook advertisements and recommendations on their site. But, this will surely limit Facebook to use your activity collected off Facebook to send you ads and other targeted messages. To read more in detail, check out Mozilla’s website. Read Next Mozilla releases Firefox 65 with support for AV1, enhanced tracking protection, and more! Mozilla disables the by default Adobe Flash plugin support in Firefox Nightly 69 Mozilla releases Firefox 64 and Firefox 65 beta