Heaney said he was confident, however, that there would be a “good group” in both Tempe and Anaheim.One of the Angels’ representatives to the Players’ Assn., Heaney also has the responsibility of relaying information to his teammates about the ongoing talks between MLB and the union. Heaney said he’s been in touch with union leaders, but still has few answers about issues like compensation.Heaney did have empathy for those who will be hurt much more than major leaguers by this shutdown. Minor leaguers are barely paid a living wage in the first place, and there are thousands of seasonal workers at ballparks who could be missing vital paychecks while the ballparks are shuttered.“It sucks,” Heaney said. “It’s sad for everybody that’s affected by this. I hope that it’s not a long layoff, and that we can resume normalcy, because I know that’s comforting to a lot of people.”Heaney had no question that the shutdown is the right thing to do, though.“I understand completely and reasonably why they did it, why everybody is doing it,” he said. “Everybody is taking the right precautions to keep everybody safe. I’m on board with that. It’s sad, man.” Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros Andrew Heaney has spent the past few days holed up in his rental in Arizona, with his wife and two dogs, and trying to figure out just what he’s going to do with himself until baseball resumes.“I have a lease till the end of the month and I’ll figure it out from there,” the Angels left-hander said by phone on Saturday. “I think it’s a situation where stuff changes so quickly that being in one place and taking things as they come is the prudent way to go about it. Luckily I got some food in the fridge and gas in the tank. We’re here and we’re going to play it by ear.”Major League Baseball announced on Thursday that the sport would be shut down in order to help prevent spread of the COVID-19 virus, one of many organizations going dark to allow people to stay safe at home.A day later, the players were given the choice of where to ride out the hiatus. They could remain near the site of their team’s spring training facility, go to the team’s home city or head to their offseason home. The clubs will provide workout and training support at both their home ballpark the spring training park. Heaney, who lives in Oklahoma in the winter, said he doesn’t have a plan beyond the end of the month.He also said he’s not sure what type of routine he’ll undertake to maintain his preparation as a starting pitcher.“With no real target date (for the season to start), it’s a little difficult to kind of backtrack,” said Heaney, who had been named the Angels’ Opening Day starter before the shutdown.Heaney said he hasn’t thrown a ball in a few days, only briefly stopped by Tempe Diablo Stadium on Saturday to pick up some belongings.“Guys were in and out,” he said of the scene in the clubhouse. “Everyone was using an abundance of caution. We did our social distancing of six feet. I just told everyone ‘Be safe and I’ll see ya when I see ya.’” Heaney said he still didn’t have a good idea of where the majority of his teammates would go.“I think everybody has kind of got a different idea,” he said. “They are kind of trying to weigh the pros and cons of each decision.”Related Articles Angels’ poor pitching spoils an Albert Pujols milestone Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error Angels’ Mike Trout working on his defense, thanks to Twitter Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield
MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa (AP) – A union leader alleged Tuesday that a large Iowa nursing home for veterans is forcing some employees to work after they were exposed to a colleague who tested positive for coronavirus.AFSCME Council 61 President Danny Homan said the situation at the Iowa Veterans Home in Marshalltown is potentially putting employees and its more than 500 residents at risk of infection.Homan said asymptomatic employees were told Tuesday that they had to continue working even if they worked closely with an individual who recently tested positive. He said one employee received direction from a doctor to self-quarantine but the home “refused to follow” that directive.Homan says the state must act immediately to ensure that veterans and the staff who care for them are not needlessly exposed.Home Commandant Timon Oujiri said late Tuesday that three employees have tested positive, including one last week, and four others await results. He said that 24 residents have been tested so far and all have been negative.Oujiri said employees who were exposed to colleagues known to be infected have been warned and thus far none have reported having symptoms. The three staff who tested positive each worked in different buildings on the campus, he said.
Kolkata: Two persons died after they were run over by a local train on Wednesday night near Dum Dum Cantonment railway station. The duo was siblings and were fighting with each other beside the railway track.According to sources, deceased youths identified as Umesh Bansfor (27) and Lalan Bansfor (30) lived at a slum beside the railway track of Sealdah-Bongaon section near Dum Dum Cantonment railway station. On Wednesday, around 10 pm, they got involved in an altercation over some family issues. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaOther residents of the slum tried to stop them but they did not bother to listen to anyone. Umesh picked an iron rod and tried hitting Lalan. Lalan tried to flee from the spot and started running along the railway track. Umesh also chased him. After a few minutes, the duo again got involved in a scuffle on the railway track. While they were busy fighting each other on the Down track, a local train arrived. Despite the locomotive pilot used loud horn to aware them, Lalan and Umesh kept on assaulting each other. Some locals tried to warn them and pull Umesh and Lalan from the track, but till then the train hit the duo and went few meters ahead. After the train stopped, it was seen that Umesh and Lalan got stuck in the cow catcher in front of the train. They were recovered and rushed to R G Kar Hospital where doctors declared them brought dead.
Hamzat Sani, Special to the AFROLate Tuesday Mayor Muriel Bowser gathered several of her agency heads to address a 50 percent increase in homicides since last year and spike in violence over the Memorial Day weekend, which claimed the lives of 4 district residents and saw another 10 wounded by gunfire. Bowser addressed a crowd of media and a few community members outside of the Department of For-Hire Vehicles on Shannon Place Southeast with a mural of the late Mayor Marion Barry serving as backdrop for what was at times a testy press conference.In a Monday press release Mayor Bowser said, “Over the weekend, we deployed additional police and non-law enforcement resources to communities in Wards 7 and 8 experiencing an increase in violence. While an enhanced police presence can help keep residents safe, we know that policing alone will not put a permanent stop to the violence in our communities. We ask residents to partner with us by reporting any criminal activity and send a clear message: violence will not be tolerated.”Concerned residents gathered on Memorial Day to discuss the alarming uptick in violence.The release noted that the Metropolitan Police Department (MPD) increased staffing levels to nearly 25 percent in the Sixth and Seventh Districts in addition to partnering with the Narcotics and Special Investigation Division, the Special Operations Division, and the Homeland Security Bureau to add additional personnel over the weekend.On the non-law enforcement side the administration activated the Safer Stronger Office of Neighborhood Safety and Engagement, the Department of Youth Rehabilitation Services’ Credible Messengers, and the Department of Parks and Recreation’s Roving Leaders in Wards 5, 7 and 8. The Court Services and Offender Supervision Agency, tasked with monitoring all adults on supervised release, will conduct check-ins throughout the week with individuals on probation and parole in the District.Bowser acknowledged the frustration of community members subject to continued violence noting a gathering of about 200 residents at a Community Planning Meeting held at the Check It Enterprises Event Space on MLK Jr. Ave in Anacostia. The meeting held on May 28 to address the Ward 8 violence crisis included remarks from Councilmembers Trayon White and Kenyon McDuffie focused on community oriented approaches to curbing the spike in violence.At Large Council candidate Marcus Goodwin who was present at the gathering said, “People are frustrated with the lack of community and parental engagement to stop systemic violence; as well as the public safety climate that our law enforcement officials and elected leaders have allowed to persist for generations.Both Bowser and MPD Chief Peter Newsham called for continued community involvement in taking illegal guns off the street and bringing crime suspects to justice.Newsham went on to provide details on 3 homicide suspects: 17 year old Kaevon Sutton, 16 year old Daquan Gray; and Alonzo Lewis. The 33 year old Lewis is wanted in connection with the double homicide, this past Saturday, of 40-year old Jaquon Helm of Southwest, D.C. and 35-year old Venius Badgett of Southwest, D.C. MPD offers a reward of up to $25,000 to anyone who provides information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person or persons responsible for any homicide committed in the District of Columbia.One of the victims of this weekend’s rash of violence was the owner of District Culture in Anacostia. Alexander Mosby was a husband, father and respected member of the community he loved, grew upon and sought to serve.“Many of the homicides that we are seeing in the city are these minor disputes that evolve into shootings and homicides because of the introduction of an illegal firearm into the incident,” Newsham said.The Tuesday press conference marks the first time back at the podium since she was granted adoptive custody of a little girl. The Mayor ended the press conference noting that while a little tired she felt lucky to have her little girl.“The thing that I enjoy the most is looking down at those little eyes looking back at me.”
We waste no time around here! #2018NationalChampionship pic.twitter.com/vTev5ITdxb— Coach Brent Key (@CoachBrentKey) January 9, 2018 It may have been chilly with a side of rain this morning, but Nick Saban and the Crimson Tide rolled back into Title Town with a very warm welcome.With 17 national titles under their belt, the University of Alabama football team was greeted by dozens of fans braving the weather at the Tuscaloosa Regional Airport and the Mal Moore Athletic Facility.