Trick-or-treaters hoping for an enjoyable Halloween night are being advised to go out early this afternoon to avoid the rain.Little witches, ghosts, superheroes, and many other characters are expected to be out and about in towns and villages across Donegal today.But with heavy rain expected in the evening, the trick to avoid getting the costumes wet is to go out before the showers hit from around 6pm. Met Eireann is forecasting a chilly night with low temperatures of 5 to 6C.‘Persistent and heavy rain’ is forecast for the north west in the evening time, which will ease later and clear slowly by early Friday morning.Friday will see further outbreaks of rain and heavy downpours could lead to local flooding in areas during the night.Met Eireann is warning of a washout weekend, with more rain forecast for Saturday and Sunday. Cold and clearer weather is expected for the early days of next week. Halloween Weather: Trick-or-treaters advised to get out early was last modified: October 31st, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
The Anti Extortion Cell (AEC) of the Thane police has allegedly caught red-handed a private detective and his wife, while accepting ₹1 crore extortion money from an IAS officer, who was sent on leave earlier this year pending an inquiry for alleged corruption, police said on Friday. According to the police, the couple, arrested on Thursday from Dombivali in neighbouring Thane district, had threatened to defame the IAS officer, Radheshyam Mopalwar, using recordings of his purported phone conversations. Satish Mangle, who works as a private detective, and his wife Shraddha had allegedly demanded ₹7 crore from the IAS officer for not releasing those tapes and also to retract their allegations of corruption against him which were made earlier.
Hashan Tillekaratne, who played 83 Tests and 200 ODIs for Sri Lanka, made the sensational claim while appearing in a TV show.India’s triumph in the ICC World Cup earlier this month has come under the match-fixing cloud after a former Sri Lankan captain’s accusation that the unlawful practice has been rampant in the island nation’s team. Appearing on a TV talk show, cricketer-turned-politician Hashan Tillekaratne raised his doubts about the selection of the Sri Lankan team for the World Cup finals. The Lankan team had made as many as four changes for the vital match against India, held on April 2 in Mumbai. Tillekaratne, who played as many as 83 Tests and 200 ODIs in his 16-year international cricket career, questioned the logic behind making extensive changes for such an important match. Maintaining that he did not think that the final match was fixed, Tillekaratne said that it was unfair to have replaced spinner Ajantha Mendis and all-rounder Chamara Silva. Tillekaratne claimed that match-fixing has been a problem in Sri Lankan cricket since 1992. He said he knew all the people responsible for it and would expose them soon. He alleged that every time the matter of match-fixing was brought up, it was quietly swept under the carpet by corrupt administrators. He alleged that money was exchanged to hush up the issue.Earlier, former captain Arjuna Ranatunga had also raised concerns about the manner in which cricket was being run in his country. A day after the visitors lost to India in the finals, Ranatunga told Headlines Today that “mafia” had got into Sri Lankan cricket and that corrupt administrators were running the game.”When we won the World Cup, we had a very honest, very good cricket precedent. But the business mafia got involved in cricket and they knew that the money is there and all unwanted… some of them were involved in bookies, they come from bookie families, some of them ordinary business people who wanted to get into cricket to create a name,” said Ranatunga, who led his side to win the coveted cup in 1996.”Even now what they do is, they appoint wrong people to run cricket. They enjoy the comfort, they enjoy the money that comes from cricket… and I tell you, lot of money has gone under the carpet. I think government has to be blamed,” he said.advertisement
Los Angeles Lakers’ LeBron James, Kyle Kuzma and Lonzo Ball, from left, sit on the bench during the second half of the team’s NBA basketball game against the Golden State Warriors on Thursday, April 4, 2019, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)LeBron James believes the Los Angeles Lakers face a “critical” offseason as the team attempts to rebuild after missing the playoffs for a sixth consecutive year.James told Bleacher Report in an interview that the Lakers would need to strengthen their roster this year if they were to challenge for honours next season.ADVERTISEMENT Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess The four-time NBA champion, who last missed the playoffs in 2005, said he was optimistic that the Lakers management duo of Magic Johnson and Rob Pelinka would be able to attract high calibre recruits.“I’m positive and very optimistic that Magic (Johnson) and Rob (Pelinka) and the franchise will be great,” James said.“They got me. I’m very confident. And I’m confident that players want to play with me. I’m very confident in that.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. LATEST STORIES MOST READ Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting View comments DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew The Lakers are likely to be radically reshaped during the offseason, with seven members of the roster entering free agency.Uncertainty also continues to swirl around coach Luke Walton, whose position has come under scrutiny after a disappointing campaign.On Wednesday, Lakers owner Jeannie Buss refused to address Walton’s future when asked whether he would remain. “I’m not going to give you an answer to that question,” she told a Sports Business podcast.James, who joined the Lakers last year in a blockbuster move, meanwhile acknowledged that the clock was ticking if he wants to add to his collection of NBA titles in the twilight of his career.“It’s a critical summer for myself,” James told Bleacher Report. “Obviously, the franchise is going to live forever. But for me personally, it’s very critical, because I want to compete and I want to compete now.”ADVERTISEMENT Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss The 34-year-old NBA superstar said he planned to play an active role in helping the Lakers front office build a winning team.“I’ve never played fantasy basketball,” James told Bleacher Report. “But I will be as active as I need to be for this franchise to get better. That’s why I came here.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logistics“I came here to win. And obviously, we need to get better, as far as our personnel. We have an opportunity to get better.“And there’s a lot of talent out there and a lot of guys that can help our franchise. So I’ll be as active as I need to be for us to get better and go from there.” SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid Ichiro Suzuki turns down Japanese government award for third time Duterte wants probe of SEA Games mess
For the second time in recent years, a massive leak of data about offshore tax havens has sent shockwaves around the world. The Paradise Papers were released on Sunday after reporting by an international collective of investigative journalists. Here’s some facts about the fallout of a previous leak of a similar nature, the Panama Papers:The Canadian Revenue Agency launched audits into 122 Canadians and opened dozens of criminal investigations for tax evasion following the Panama Papers, the Toronto Star reported earlier this year. Experts say the number of investigations in offshore havens was an increase from previous years thanks to the leaked documents.———The Royal Bank of Canada was the only financial institution in the country to be linked to the massive leak. The bank’s CEO vowed to comb through four decades of files to find any proof of wrongdoing. While the institution accepted responsibility for monitoring the global financial industry, they said they’d been “dragged into” the controversy without any allegations of wrongdoing.———The Canadian government pumped over $400 million dollars into the Canadian Revenue Agency to hunt down billions of missing tax dollars in the wake of the Panama Papers. A large part of those efforts were to look into offshore tax havens.———Bill Morneau, Canada’s current finance minister, said he’d bring up the issue of tax evasion during an international summit and with provincial governments after the leak. The government vowed to fight tax evasion on multiple fronts. One group estimated overseas tax evasion was costing Canadian governments $8 billion a year.———