Kaka admits he had problems with Mourinho at Real Madridby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveKaka has spoken of his problems with Jose Mourinho at Real Madrid.The Ballon d’Or winner admits he had issues with ‘The Special One.'”I was convinced that Real Madrid would be good, I think I was persistent, I got as far as I could, to my limit,” he said to Grande Circulo de SporTV.”My problem at Madrid was continuity first and then the coach, as I spent three years trying to convince Mourinho that I should have more opportunities but it was his choice, it was out of my control.”The first year I had a hip problem, then the adductor and I was operated on.”I was out of action for six months and when I returned, it was Mourinho.”I was an excellent professional, and today I can say with great joy that I can go to Real Madrid and the doors are always open.”Florentino says that I was one of the most professional athletes in the club.”Once Mourinho left, however, things didn’t get any better for the Brazilian.”In the 2013/14 season, with the arrival of Carlo Ancelotti, Florentino Perez wanted to renew the team with players from the academy and new players, and Ancelotti was very clear with me.”He told me that the president had asked for these people to play and I told him that I had to play because I wanted to be at the World Cup, so the best option was to leave. “With football being such a small world, it was inevitable that Kaka would cross paths with Mourinho again.”There’s no problem,” he added.”I went to Manchester to a sponsor’s event, I stayed at the same hotel as him and we stayed talking for two hours.”Mourinho is exactly what people see on camera, at the time he’s explosive, but he is an extremely intelligent, very prepared guy, so what people see in the interviews is all prepared.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say PSV eager to take Man Utd youngster Tahith Chong on loanby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the lovePSV Eindhoven is eager to take Manchester United youngster Tahith Chong on loan in January.The 19-year-old Dutch winger, a graduate of United’s academy, has started United’s matches against Astana and Rochdale so far this season.The Sun says PSV are interested in taking Chong when the transfer window opens again in the new year.United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer will decide whether or not to keep Chong at Old Trafford given the depleted ranks of his squad.But realistically, Chong is only going to get first-team football in the Europa League and domestic cup competitions this season.
OTTAWA — The Canadian Army is receiving a new commander as the military tries to turn the page on years upheaval caused by the failed prosecution of Vice-Admiral Mark Norman.Cannons boomed and soldiers marched as Lt.-Gen. Wayne Eyre took the reins of the army in a ceremony on Parliament Hill today, overseen by defence chief Gen. Jonathan Vance and attended by many of the Canadian Forces’s top brass.It was just two months ago that Eyre was appointed the military’s chief human resources officer, a position that has taken on added significance as the Forces seeks to improve the lives of average military personnel while addressing racism and other scourges.Eyre takes over as army commander from Lt.-Gen. Jean-Marc Lanthier, who himself was installed as vice-chief of the defence staff only last month following the surprise resignation of Lt.-Gen. Paul Wynnyk.Wynnyk linked his decision to leave the Forces to an aborted attempt to reinstate Norman as the military’s second-in-command before Norman reached a confidential settlement with the government and announced his plan to retire.One more change-of-command ceremony will be held on Thursday to install Vice-Admiral Haydn Edmundson as Eyre’s successor as chief of military personnel, after which military officials will be hoping for a return to normalcy after several years of instability at the top.The Canadian Press
CALGARY (660 NEWS) – The federal government’s move to put a $1.6-billion action plan in place for the Alberta oil and gas industry has drawn the ire of a few critics, yet other experts believe the move will yield positive results. The energy sector doesn’t need handouts to help to “explore new markets”.It knows where the markets are. It has the product. It can’t get the product TO THE MARKETS.The Trudeau government’s solution? Here’s some corporate welfare for green energy!#facepalm https://t.co/j7qesnmIB1— Aaron Wudrick (@awudrick) December 18, 2018 Take Our Poll Albertans have been clear.I have been clear. We need to get our resources to market.And we need Ottawa to take the handcuffs off.Ottawa’s announcement today is a step, but there must be many, many more steps.#KeepCanadaWorking #FightingForYou pic.twitter.com/9rl7paAoNh— Rachel Notley (@RachelNotley) December 18, 2018“Even if Justin Trudeau had announced that he was going to buy locomotives and tanker cars, I am not sure that would have satisfied people. The problem is big and the solutions are much longer term,” said Political Scientist at Mount Royal University Lori Williams.She added the federal government has waited for so long to make this move that anti-Trudeau sentiments began to fester. “They waited quite a long time for something that probably could have been put in place earlier. They could have forestalled this growing momentum of anti-federalist sentiment had they been a bit more decisive earlier on.”But Williams does predict at least some benefits. “I think it will probably move things in a positive rather than a negative direction.” Williams argues the federal government is acting like a bank, offering investment with the expectation of return.READ MORE: Ottawa confirms over $1.6-billion to help the struggling oil and gas sector She looks at some of the moves already being made to help the price of oil, such as the Alberta government’s curtailment of production as a sign that this type of action could work.“There’s absolutely no question that it can have significant impacts, certainly in the short-run. A lot of the solutions that both the federal and provincial governments are looking at are a bit longer term.” Williams believes we won’t know the full effects of this move for a few months. — With files from CityNews What do you think of the Trudeau government’s $1.6-billion support package for oil and gas companies?It’s greatIt could have been betterIt’s terrible and won’t helpVoteView Results
You’re reading Significant Digits, a daily digest of the telling numbers tucked inside the news.1 coachThat’s the number of female coaches in the NFL after Jen Welter was hired by the Arizona Cardinals as an assistant coaching intern. The NBA also has one female assistant coach, while MLB and MLS have no female coaches. As my colleague Leah Libresco tweeted: “We were going to graph the share of female coaches in men’s sports, but the bars were too small to see.” [FiveThirtyEight]4 jokesConan O’Brien is being sued for stealing jokes from Twitter. A man who says he was a longtime writer for Jay Leno claims an airline joke (wow, I’m laughing already) as well as jokes about Tom Brady, Caitlyn Jenner and the Washington Monument were pilfered from his feed and used on O’Brien’s show. Conan’s production company believes the suit is without merit. Coco, I’m gonna do you a solid: I’m tweeting a joke right now, just for you. I waive all rights, please feel free to use it in tonight’s monologue. [The Hollywood Reporter]8 farmsI’ve got my tent firmly pitched in the pro-cilantro camp, but my allegiance is being tested. The FDA has banned some cilantro imported from Mexico after investigators discovered “human feces and toilet paper in and around growing fields.” Eight of the 11 farms and packing houses investigated in the Mexican state of Puebla had “objectionable conditions” and five were linked to hundreds of outbreaks in the U.S. of cyclosporiasis. [CNN]15 percentShare of Americans who do not use the Internet. They must be so happy. [Pew Research Center]63.5 percentHomeownership in the U.S. is at a 48-year low. The seasonally adjusted homeownership rate is now 63.5 percent, down from pre-recession highs of above 69 percent. Both the homeowner and rental vacancy rates, however, have also fallen. This means a tight housing market — to which I can anecdotally attest, having recently hunted for an apartment — and a possible boon to the economy in ensuing construction. [The Wall Street Journal]200 to 400 feetAmazon has proposed that some prime (get it?) airspace, from 200 to 400 feet off the ground, be reserved for high-speed drones. The company has visions of one day delivering its packages by drone. [The Guardian]10,000 textsTom Brady’s four-game “Deflate-gate” suspension has been upheld by the NFL. In a statement on the decision, the league said Brady had destroyed his cellphone, despite investigators’ requests to access it. The phone had been used to exchange 10,000 text messages over four months — or just more than 80 texts a day. Even still, Brady’s got nothing on the 18 to 24 set — those kids send and receive more than 125 texts a day! [The Washington Post]$50,000 in bunny careAfter 103 rabbits were seized from her home, a Brooklyn woman has been ordered to pay $50,000 for their care. The bunnies had become celebrities in their neighborhood. [New York Post]$2 million a yearYou have to pay about $1,500 to license the song “Happy Birthday.” Yeah, that “Happy Birthday.” Two filmmakers upset by that fact have uncovered evidence that they say negates Warner/Chappell Music’s 1935 copyright and puts the song in the public domain. The copyright has at some points netted its owners about $2 million a year. [Ars Technica]304 million core usersTwitter’s stock price slumped more than 11 percent Tuesday, after slower than expected growth in its average monthly users. The company said it now has 304 million “core users.” That’s up from 302 million last quarter, but the growth was the slowest since the company went public. [Reuters]Don’t worry, Walt Hickey’s return is nigh. But today, for those of you who a) use the Internet and b) are on Twitter, if the significance of a digit moves you, please tweet it to me @Ollie. And have a super Wednesday!If you haven’t already, you really need to sign up for the Significant Digits newsletter — be the first to learn about the numbers behind the news.
Ohio State freshman forward Andre Wesson attempts a 3-pointer against Northwestern on Jan. 22 at the Schottenstein Center. Credit: Jacob Myers | Assistant Sports EditorThe Ohio State men’s basketball team could be dealt with a heavy blow as the Buckeyes might be missing forward Andre Wesson for an undisclosed period of time, a university spokesperson confirmed Wednesday.Wesson has been undergoing tests for a medical issue over the summer, which was first reported by Eleven Warriors.The university spokesperson issued the following statement to The Lantern:“Ohio State sophomore forward Andre Wesson has been undergoing testing and monitoring over the summer for a medical issue. Additional testing will be conducted in the coming weeks. The Ohio State men’s basketball program is optimistic Andre will be able to continue his athletic career with the Buckeyes this season.”As a freshman, Wesson averaged 11.6 minutes per game while appearing in 29 of the Buckeyes’ 32 games. The former three-star prospect averaged 2.3 points, 1.2 rebounds and 0.3 assists per game. He shot 36.5 percent from the field and 35.1 percent from beyond the arc, while succeeding on 53.6 percent of free throw attempts.Wesson is the oldest brother of freshman center Kaleb Wesson and the elder son of Keith Wesson, a member of the Ohio State men’s basketball team from 1982-1987.
Infosys, India’s second-largest IT firm, is fast implementing automation technologies that would result in a fall in the number of employees who are on the bench, the company’s CEO Vishal Sikka said Monday.Last year, the IT major had launched an internal programme called “Zero Bench”, aimed at better utilisation of resources and keeping its structure leaner.”Despite being here (at Infosys) for 18 months, I can’t still find an answer around the idea of a bench,” Business Standard quoted Sikka as saying.The company had said last year it aimed to improve employee productivity by 50% in the next five years. The software major had estimated employee productivity to increase to $80,000 by 2020, compared to $52,500.Infosys recorded a staff utilisation rate of 80.6 percent for the December quarter.”At 81 percent utilisation, it means 9,000 people are sitting on the bench. This is more than the number of application developers I had at SAP. That’s also more than the number of engineers at Facebook. So I said unless you guys are building a Facebook, this is a colossal waste of human potential,” said Sikka at a conference organised by Kotak Institutional Equities in Mumbai.The number of employees who have changed jobs internally in the company now stands at over 10,300 since the roll-out of the “Zero Bench” initiative in July last year. The initiative allows the employee to choose jobs posted on the internal marketplace.Infosys is looking to enable its clients to access the profiles of employees on bench in a bid to increase the utilisation of resources.Besides, the company has been taking several other automation measures to improve employee productivity.”The shift to automation is inevitable. There is no doubt that it is going to happen. There is no doubt that it is already happening. It is not to make the horses run faster and faster, it is to turn the horse-cart into an automobile,” said Sikka.
A five-story residential building tilted at Khalifaghat in the city’s Kamrangirchar area on Monday, reports UNB.Dana Mia, an operator of Fire Service and Civil Defence control room, said being informed by locals, a team of firefighters went to the spot around 12:44pm and all the residents of the building were evacuated.UNB Keraniganj Correspondent reports that residents of four more adjacent buildings of the area were also evacuated fearing danger.Shahin Fakir, officer-in-charge of Kamrangirchar police station, said the five-story building was built in the area six months ago and one Samad Mia bought the building from its previous owner Shaheen in January.The firefighting unit members said the building was built without doing the pilling work properly.
CHRISTINA ULSH / KERA NEWS SPECIAL CONTRIBUTORThis group of children came to Dallas as refugees. Here they are on the first day of school in 2014.Federal officials have granted waivers to 872 refugees to enter the U.S. this week. Refugee Services of Texas says Thursday is the last day they will be able to arrive through the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program. LISTEN: The KERA Radio storyThe refugees are not from the seven countries temporarily banned under President Donald Trump’s executive order on immigration.The resettlement agency says the refugees were already in transit and had been cleared before the travel ban took effect.Of the 800-plus refugees being admitted, 55 of them are arriving in Texas. They come from the countries Afghanistan, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea and Rwanda.More than 2,100 refugees had been scheduled to arrive in the U.S this week, but nearly half of them were denied resettlement.Refugee Services of Texas says Thursday is the last day refugees will arrive through the U.S. Refugee Admissions Program. Under Trump’s order, the program will be suspended for 120 days.Copyright 2017 KERA-FM. To see more, visit KERA-FM. Share