“Hospitality and retail had to ensure they were Covid-19 secure when they reopened in the summer, and travel needs its own equivalent – we must have a robust testing system in place and quarantine periods reduced to give us any chance of surviving this crisis.” NewerWizz partners with CarTrawler for new rental options The results show the stark reality of how desperate the situation is for travel agents’ businesses and the bleak outlook for the broader travel industry. If blanket travel bans, quarantine measures and lack of testing continues, a further 27 per cent will run out of cash in the first half of next year, resulting in 88 per cent of agents running out of cash before June. This means – in a rather hypothetical situation that there will only be 12 per cent of travel agents still in business next summer.- Advertisement – – Advertisement – OlderChile leads winners at 2020 Latin America World Travel Awards Julia Lo Bue-Said, chief executive at the Advantage Travel Partnership said: “When will the government wake up and see that an industry is collapsing in front of them? “These results are deeply concerning, but sadly are indicative of many businesses throughout the travel industry. “We need an exit strategy from our government to outline how we are going to move forwards. – Advertisement – A new report from the Advantage Travel Partnership has found that 61 per cent of travel agents will run out of cash by the end of this year.The travel agent consortium released the findings as the UK enters a second lockdown, which effectively prohibits overseas and domestic travel. – Advertisement –
Jul 21, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) announced today that only one of three deaths blamed on avian influenza in Indonesia this week is known so far to have been caused by the disease, saying test results are still awaited in the other two cases.Meanwhile, the Indonesian government promised to take firmer measures to control the virus, which began killing poultry in the nation in 2003 but had caused no human deaths until now.Indonesian officials announced yesterday that a 38-year-old man and his two young daughters were the nation’s first H5N1 avian flu victims. The WHO said tests have confirmed that the man died of the illness. The daughters “died of severe pneumonia illness compatible with H5N1 infection,” but confirmation was not yet available in their cases, the agency said.”Limited samples were available from the 8-year-old daughter who died on 14 July, and the 1-year-old daughter who died on 9 July,” the WHO said. Previous reports had listed the older daughter as being 9 years old.The three victims lived near Jakarta. The 8-year-old fell ill on Jun 24 and was hospitalized Jun 28, the WHO said. The 1-year-old became ill Jun 29, and the father’s symptoms began Jul 2. He died Jul 12 after about 5 days of hospitalization.Samples from the father tested positive for H5N1 in WHO reference laboratories at the University of Hong Kong and at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, the WHO said. Samples from the two children were still being tested.Besides being Indonesia’s first H5N1 deaths, the cases have raised concern about possible human-to-human transmission of the virus, because the three victims had no known contact with infected poultry.Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported today that Indonesian officials promised to take stronger measures to control avian flu and admitted that they should have culled more poultry in past efforts.Health Minister Siti Fadillah Supari said an outbreak occurred in April at a pig and chicken farm 9 miles from where the family lived, but only limited culling was done there, the AFP story said. Supari said it was possible that the victims were infected by the virus from the farm.The story didn’t specify whether the farm was one of several where pigs were found to be carrying the virus, as the government reported to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) in May. The farms were in the Tangerang district, where the three victims lived.Supari said the poultry and pigs “should have been destroyed but it wasn’t the case at that time because some of them were vaccinated,” AFP reported.She promised the government would take firm action, including culling, surveillance of people who might have been in affected areas, preparation of hospitals to treat patients, and an information campaign about the virus.Agriculture Minister Anton Apriyanto said his agency would destroy animals on two pig farms in Tangerang and compensate the owners, according to a state news agency report cited by AFP. He said the ministry was allocating the equivalent of $10.7 million in emergency funds to tackle the disease.Supari said 21 provinces have had avian flu outbreaks since 2003, the latest in North Sumatra; Jambi, part of Sumatra; and Banten, which includes Tangerang, the AFP report said.The WHO said it was working with the Indonesian government and US Naval Medical Research Unit 2 to find potential sources of infection in the Indonesian cases.Supari said about 300 people who had possible contact with the victims still have shown no signs of illness, AFP reported.In other developments, the H5N1 virus was found in processed frozen duck meat shipped from China to Japan in 2003, according to an Associated Press (AP) report based on an article published online by the journal Virology.The WHO said this was not the first time the virus had been found in processed meat, but added that the finding demonstrates the virus’s toughness and widespread occurrence in Asian poultry flocks, the AP reported.See also:WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_07_21a/en/index.html
“Everyone should focus on holding the event next year — we’re on the same page.”He said International Olympic Committee chief Thomas Bach was “not looking for” a Games held without any fans, but acknowledged smaller audiences might be possible.”He may be thinking about a limited number of spectators with full consideration of social distancing,” Muto said.”We must build an environment where people feel safe. Athletes and the IOC family may require testing before/after entering Japan and (we need) strong medical systems around accommodation and transportation plans,” he added. Next year’s coronavirus-postponed Olympics could be held in front of a “limited number of spectators” to prevent the spread of infection, Tokyo 2020 chief executive Toshiro Muto has said.The Tokyo 2020 games are now scheduled to open on July 23, 2021, after a historic postponement forced by the global march of the pandemic.Muto told BBC Sports that organizers were committed to holding the event in 2021, with no discussion of cancelling or postponing it further. Japan currently bans visitors from more than 100 countries in a bid to limit the spread of the virus and Muto said it was “too optimistic to assume all restrictions will be gone, so we must think of other ways.”With just under a year to go until the postponed Games, Japanese citizens have expressed skepticism about whether the Olympics can or should be held.Two polls in July found the majority of Japanese think the Games should be postponed again or cancelled altogether.And several medical experts have suggested the Games will not be viable without a proven treatment or vaccine for the virus.Muto said a vaccine would be “a benefit… [but] not a precondition.”Chairman of the Tokyo Co-ordination Committee John Coates sounded a positive note by saying the Games would go ahead with or without a vaccine.Organizers were “going ahead on the basis there won’t be a vaccine,” Coates told the Australia newspaperHe added that they were prepared “under whatever scenario we have to face, which will become clearer at the end of the year.”Japan has so far seen experienced a comparatively small coronavirus outbreak, but infections have been on the rise, particularly in the capital.Tokyo Governor Yuriko Koike, speaking to Japan’s Kyodo news agency on Wednesday, warned that “containing the new coronavirus inside the capital is a prerequisite” for holding the Games. Topics :
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has hit back at old rival Jose Mourinho by saying his team do not get an easy ride over fixtures. “It is depending on objective analysis. A day is 24 hours and you count how many times you have rest between games. “I didn’t make the study, it was made by an independent company. I cannot influence that.” The thorny matter of fixture congestion will raise its head again after Arsenal were drawn against Liverpool in the FA Cup, with the tie likely to be selected for live television coverage. That clash, slated for the weekend of February 15 and 16, will come just days before Arsenal’s Champions League last 16 first-leg clash with Bayern Munich at the Emirates Stadium and after vital Premier League games against both Liverpool away and Manchester United at home. Such testing periods have broken the Gunners in the past, but Wenger has told his players to absorb the occasion and pressure this time around. “It is an interesting (FA Cup) draw and a difficult one; we have a little advantage by playing at home,” he said. “Overall it’s a great difficulty and we will try and absorb it and come out in a positive way. “(There are) plenty of big games. It means the squad will need to be highly focused, (it is) a massive challenge and we are confident we can do that.” Chelsea boss Mourinho said last week that the Gunners get a certain “influence” when it came to their schedule, something Wenger was eager to refute on Monday morning. “It is simple – look at the fixtures and analyse it. I trust you will give an objective view,” the Arsenal boss said. “You will see Arsenal are behind all the other teams. In the last five years all the objective studies that have been made show Arsenal had less rest than any other team in the top four. “That is fact. It has nothing to do with my opinion. It is an independent company that made (the study) that shows Arsenal had less rest than any other team in the top level.” It is understood the study Wenger was referring to was internal analysis of Arsenal’s fixture programme. Wenger cited his side’s hectic schedule just before Christmas when they played at Manchester City on a Saturday lunchtime following a midweek European trip to Napoli, both of which ended in defeat. Mourinho’s comments about Arsenal fixtures came in response to criticism from Wenger about Chelsea’s decision to sell Juan Mata to Manchester United. Wenger insisted the war of words was not part of any mind games campaign on his part, with his team one point ahead of Manchester City and two clear of Chelsea going into the midweek Premier League programme. The Gunners travel to Southampton on Tuesday night. “It is not mind games. It is opinions,” Wenger said. “But I don’t live with opinions, I live with facts. and the facts don’t depend on me or Mourinho. Press Association
Kakramadu XI representing La on Sunday put up a resilient show to qualify for the final of the McDan Peace Tournament when the pipped Teshie XI by a lone goal.”‹The game was watched by a large crowd including Dr. Daniel Mckorley CEO of McDan Group of Companies and sponsor of the programme which is aimed at promoting peace and unity in the La DadeKotopon Electoral Area in Accra.”‹Also in attendance was Hon. Nii Namoale, the Member of Parliament who commended the spectators for comporting themselves, especially the losers who accepted defeat in good faith.Dr. McKorley urged the fans to hold on to the peace Ghana is enjoying and not create violence. He said living in peace is what everyone wants. “We are one people. We should not kill ourselves because of elections. It is just a democratic process. After voting go home and relax, when it is time for the result, come out and listen, no need to fight when jubilating or defeated” he said.”‹He thanked the media and all who have contributed to the success of the McDan Peace Tournament which has been attracting large crowds every time. He commended the footballers who have thrilled the fans and the coaches from Osu, La, Teshie and NunguaMaxwell Quaye of La Kakramadu who had a good game thanked McDan for thinking about sportsmen and using sports to promote peace.Frank Sowah and George Adjetey, players of Teshie XI said the game was good and in football one side has to lose, so they will work harder next time to win.”‹The tournament continues today Monday with the other semifinal between Aviation and Court all based in La, thus going to produce fireworks and excitement. Both have large following and it will another big game. The winner will be decided on December 4 at the La Salem Park at the La Presby SHS. The ultimate winner will take home $1,000 plus a giant trophy and the runners up will take $500 plus medals.
Los Angeles City Councilmen Tony Cardenas and Greig Smith couldn’t have picked a worse time to announce their plans for a property-tax hike to fund road repairs. On the very day the San Fernando Valley councilmen put their bond proposal forward, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa was out selling his plan to raise garbage fees to pay for more cops. That made two proposed tax hikes in one day, both to fund services that L.A. residents thought they were already paying for. Coming together, these two plans will make the city’s voters less likely to support either one. Lost on no one in L.A. – except, apparently, the politicians – is that property- and sales-tax revenues have skyrocketed in recent years. So why does City Hall need new funds to fulfill its fundamental responsibilities: maintaining the streets and keeping them safe? The answer lies not in the taxpayers but in themselves. Clean up City Hall’s ethics, get a grip on employee salaries and benefits, eliminate wasteful and ineffective programs, and restore credibility to municipal government. Then we can talk.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREOregon Ducks football players get stuck on Disney ride during Rose Bowl eventThe answer is simple: The reason we don’t have adequate roads today – or, for that matter, enough cops – is because city leaders have long preferred to shower taxpayer money on themselves, their friends, their supporters and public-employee unions. The mayor and council members now say they’re changing, and they’re shocked and dismayed to find out the city is in terrible shape: bad roads, communities controlled by gangs, homeless lining the sidewalks, poor schools, a 19th century trash policy and even elephants at the zoo living in squalor. Just one measure of the impact of neglect is the condition of the roads. At current funding levels, it would take until 2086 to fix L.A.’s crumbling streets and cavernous potholes – by which time, of course, they would be in terrible shape again. Cardenas and Smith have good intentions in wanting to fix the streets. But they come to taxpayers asking to help pay for their own lack of leadership, without having repaired City Hall first. Their money-grubbing raises an important question: If they need new taxes to pay for the basics, then what, exactly, are our taxes paying for now?