Linkedin Shannon Heritage operations suspended from Friday evening Facebook WhatsApp Free admission to Desmond Castle Discover the wonders of Limerick during Heritage Week RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Record results in attracting business tourism TAGSConferencecultureheritagehistoryKilmallockTown WallsWalking tour Advertisement Email Previous articleDilemma for DublinersNext articleLimerick’s election hopefuls pledge to support fight on sex trafficking Guest Writerhttp://www.limerickpost.ie The last dance for a Limerick cultural institution ARCHAEOLOGISTS and historians are set to examine Kilmallock and other surviving walled towns in an effort to re-imagine what Ireland’s urban areas may have looked like during the 16th century.Organised by Limerick City and County Council and funded by Limerick City of Culture and the Irish Walled Towns Network, a conference in Kilmallock on June 5 and 6 will examine strands of 16th century Ireland through town fortifications and the role of the merchant classes, as well as the function, design, origins and influences of their domestic buildings.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “The 16th century is an important period in the transition from the medieval to the modern world. It is a period that is not much explored or understood,” stated archaeologist Sarah McCutcheon.Kilmallock’s town walls, 70 per cent of which remain standing today, make it one of Ireland’s most intact walled towns. Hundreds of metres of the town’s medieval walls have been restored in recent years.Brian Hodkinson of Limerick Museum said that the event would raise the profile of the late medieval remains within the environs, encourage repeat visits and establish Limerick city, Kilmallock and other walled towns firmly on the itinerary of cultural tourism. Twitter Print NewsCommunityKilmallock conference to bridge the centuriesBy Guest Writer – May 21, 2014 705 WATCH: 1995 Community Games Football Adare V Kilmallock
Healthcare, National Issues, Press Release, Public Health, Women’s Rights Blue Bell, Pa. – Governor Tom Wolf and First Lady Frances Wolf were in Blue Bell today to participate in a panel discussion and community forum on the importance of Planned Parenthood. The event was held at Montgomery County Community College’s main campus.The panel was moderated by Montgomery County Commissioner and physician Valerie Arkoosh. Other participants included Planned Parenthood medical providers, staff, and patients. The audience posed questions for the panel, seeking answers on everything from access to health care for immigrant women and proposed legislation in D.C. that could severely affect funding for Planned Parenthood.“As the U.S. Senate continues to consider changes to the American health care system, we need to reject flawed amendments and support bipartisan efforts to make health care more available and affordable for all Americans, including preserving funding for Planned Parenthood,” Governor Wolf said.Governor and First Lady Wolf were Planned Parenthood volunteers in York and continue to support women’s health care rights and access. In Pennsylvania, nearly 50 percent of Planned Parenthood’s health centers are in medically under-served areas. Last year, Planned Parenthood served about 90,000 patients in Pennsylvania and provided nearly 170,000 screenings for sexually transmitted diseases, over 9,000 cervical cancer screenings and 11,000 breast wellness exams.“It’s particularly important that we fight to oppose any legislation that limits access to health care for all,” Wolf said. “I am committed to doing all that I can to make sure Pennsylvania is a place that celebrates individual choice, liberty, and personal freedoms.” Governor Wolf and First Lady Join Planned Parenthood for Panel Discussion on Women’s Health Care Rights and Access September 19, 2017 SHARE Email Facebook Twitter
Latest Posts BLUE HILL — For most high school basketball teams in Maine’s smallest classes, finding role players to build championship teams is no easy task. From 2014-18, the George Stevens Academy boys’ squad was one of the rare few to find the perfect blend.In Taylor Schildroth and Max Mattson, the GSA boys had a pair of Mr. Maine Basketball candidates and elite scorers and rebounders, respectively. In Stefan Simmons, they had a top-notch utility player who could thrive in any situation and lived for the big moments. The result was three consecutive state championships and a span in which the Eagles lost just twice in 66 games.Those players graduated back in June, but others who played vital roles are back for another go this year. One such returnee is Caden Mattson, a junior whose defensive prowess has flown largely under the radar on a GSA team that’s been loaded with talent in recent seasons.GSA’s Caden Mattson provides help defense during a high school boys’ basketball scrimmage against Oceanside on Nov. 27 in Blue Hill. Mattson has lost just one game in two years as a member of the GSA boys’ team, which opens the 2018-19 season at home against Lee Academy at 2:30 p.m. next Saturday, Dec. 8. ELLSWORTH AMERICAN PHOTO BY MIKE MANDELLAlthough he wasn’t part of the GSA team that won the first of back-to-back-to-back Gold Balls in 2016, Mattson has stifled opponents from all across the state over the past two title runs. Now an upperclassman on a team that must account for the loss in production stemming from the aforementioned departures, his relentless defense on and off the ball is going to be even more prominent.This is placeholder textThis is placeholder text“Even growing up, I kind of struggled with offense; it just wasn’t my thing,” Mattson said. “With everyone else being able to score, I focused on playing hard defense and building my game up from there.”Defense has always been a focal point for GSA head coach Dwayne Carter’s squads, but this year’s team is placing even more emphasis on that end of the floor. Losing the size, athleticism and energy that last year’s seniors provided has left the Eagles with big holes to fill, and whether he’s smothering opposing players or flying across the court to help out his teammates, Mattson is more than capable of picking up the slack.In last year’s Class C North championship game, Mattson was given the task of guarding Fort Fairfield’s Isaac Cyr, one of the state’s most prolific scorers. Mattson held Cyr to just 14 points on 16 shots, an effort Carter said is indicative of the mentality Mattson brings to the court in both practices and game situations.“He wants that kid who’s the other team’s No. 1 scorer and who’s always going to get the ball, and his goal is to take him on and not let him get away,” Carter said. “He puts a lot of pride and effort into what he does on the defensive end of the floor, and without somebody like Max to block that shot or Stefan to make that big stop, we’re going to need that kind of player.”That defensive skill set, Carter said, comes from a trait that runs in the family. Having coached alongside the junior’s father, Matthew, for many years now, the GSA head coach continues to notice the same intensity and attention to detail in Caden that he sees in the team’s assistant coach.GSA’s Caden Mattson defends against Fort Fairfield’s Isaac Cyr during last season’s Class C North boys’ basketball championship game at the Cross Insurance Center in Bangor. Mattson held Cyr, one of Maine’s top scorers, to just 14 points on 16 shots in the Eagles’ 62-39 win. FILE PHOTO“His dad is very intense and very focused, and [Caden] was brought up that way and made it part of his game,” Carter said. “They both bring that in-your-face style in how they strive to compete, and those personalities have really driven them.”For Mattson, that style of play has helped GSA put the clamps on some of the state’s top guards and wing players. In addition to keeping Cyr in check in last year’s regional title game, Mattson held Winthrop’s Jacob Hickey without a basket over the final three quarters of the 2017 state championship game and helped keep a threatening Houlton team in check in last year’s regional quarterfinals.“The thing about some of these scorers is they get so frustrated when they’re not scoring,” Mattson said. “To see those looks of frustration on their faces when they’re not scoring, I love it. It’s awesome, and it lets me know I’m doing my job right.”Mattson isn’t short on toughness, either, as he showed when returned to last year’s state title game against Hall-Dale despite hitting his head on the floor late in the first half. He’s bulked up this offseason as well after putting time in the weight room with teammate Andrew Szwez.With last year’s record-shattering senior class no longer available, the Eagles won’t have an easy path to a fourth straight Class C championship. Yet nothing about what GSA has done over the past three seasons has been easy, and having doubters is only motivating this year’s team even more.“I’ve had people say to me that they don’t think we’re going to be good this year,” Mattson said. “When you hear that, it really makes you want to play with a chip on your shoulder and prove all those people wrong, and that’s what we want to do.” Mike MandellMike Mandell is the sports editor at The Ellsworth American and Mount Desert Islander. He began working for The American in August 2016. You can reach him via email at [email protected] Bio Latest posts by Mike Mandell (see all) Ellsworth runners compete in virtual Boston Marathon – September 16, 2020 Hospice volunteers help families navigate grief and find hope – September 12, 2020 MPA approves golf, XC, field hockey, soccer; football, volleyball moved to spring – September 10, 2020
Andy Murray has been named as the top seed for the Australian Open which starts next week, the first time the Scot has been ranked No 1 in a Grand Slam.Murray, a five-time finalist, will be chasing his first Melbourne title while his main rival will be six-time winner Novak Djokovic who has been handed the second seed position.The pair have met in four previous finals, including last year, with Djokovic winning on all four occasions and having beaten Murray in Doha last week, the Serb will be confident of becoming the first man to win the Australian Open on seven occasions. Federer return to Grand Slam action having missed the US Open and the second half of last season with back and knee injuries and having dropped out of the top 10 for the first time since 2002, he is seeded 17th meaning a possible third round tie with Murray or Djokovic could be on the cards.The four-time Aussie Open champion is chasing an 18th Grand Slam title but has not won a major since Wimbledon in 2012 and Melbourne next week will be his first competitive tournament since Wimbledon last year.Nadal is seeded ninth and a potential quarter-final opponent for the top four. The 14-time Grand Slam champion is without a major in almost three years and suffered a five-set first round defeat to Fernando Verdasco in Melbourne last year.In the women’s singles, defending champion and world No 1 Angelique Kerber leads the way followed by 22-time Grand Slam winner Serena Williams.Britain’s Johanna Konta, a semi-finalist at Melbourne Park 12 months ago, is the No 9 seed. Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram
London, United Kingdom | AFP | Chelsea manager Antonio Conte rued one costly mistake as Lionel Messi gave Barcelona the upper hand from the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie by salvaging a 1-1 draw at Stamford Bridge.Messi struck for the first time in nine games against Chelsea 15 minutes from the end, as Andres Iniesta punished the English champions once more when he intercepted Andreas Christensen’s slack pass across his own box to tee up the five-time World Player of the Year.Willian’s fine strike just after the hour mark had put Chelsea in command after he had hit both posts in the first half. Chelsea must now score when they travel to the Camp Nou on March 14 to have any chance of making the last eight.“Against this opponent, this type of player like Messi, (Luis) Suarez, Iniesta, if you make a mistake you pay,” said Conte. “We failed to create clear-cut chances despite having domination of the game. In the end it came from an error from them and we took advantage,” said Barca coach Ernesto Valverde.“It is a good score given we were behind and clearly there is everything left to decide in the second leg.”Conte sprang a surprise before kick-off by leaving out both Olivier Giroud and Alvaro Morata with Eden Hazard instead operating in the middle of a front three.Share on: WhatsApp Pages: 1 2 “There is a bit of disappointment. But at the same time this game must give us a lot of confidence to trust that in the second leg the qualification is open.”Nine years on from combining for a stoppage-time equaliser in a highly controversial semi-final at Stamford Bridge to send Barca to the final, Iniesta and Messi swapped roles as this time the Spaniard provided the pass and Messi the finish.
Tags: Conor Gough, England Boys’ Squad, English Men’s Amateur Championship Conor Gough produced a sparkling performance to win the English Men’s Amateur Championship at Hankley Common in Surrey.The 16-year-old from Stoke Park beat 20-year-old Callum Farr from Northamptonshire County 3&2 in the final to add to the McGregor Trophy and the British Boys’ titles he won last year.Gough spent much of the early part of the season studying for his GCSEs but clearly the enforced break has had no detrimental effect on his golf.He began the morning round of the final by hitting a 350-yard drive down the first and then holing out from 12-feet for a birdie and seven holes later he was three up after a birdie on the 6th and an eagle on the 8th.20-year-old Farr claimed his first hole of the day when he birdied from just off the front of the green at the 10th but he could never quite reel in his opponent and he was four down heading into lunch before he won the 18th with a par.Farr started the second round strongly by winning the first with a birdie and the second with a par but he found himself three down again after dropping shots at both the 4th and the 5th. Thereafter the pair were to share eight birdies between them before Gough sealed victory with a testing four-foot downhill putt for a par on the short 16th.“It feels great to win,” said Gough moments after holing the winning putt. “I played really well. I love match play and as soon as I got through the stroke play qualifier I knew I had a good chance.“I’m proud of myself. I’ve got a couple of big weeks coming up so I hope I can keep things going.“I’ve got the Boys’ Home Internationals next week and then the US Amateur Championship at Pinehurst. I’m really looking forward to that. It’s the same format as this so hopefully I can put in another good performance.”It was impossible not to feel for England “A” squad member Farr who has now reached the last four and the last two in the past two years without tasting success.“I hit the ball better this afternoon but just couldn’t get the putts to drop,” he said. “I’m disappointed but Conor is a very good player and he deserved to win because he played a lot better than me.“I got to the semi-final last year and now the final so maybe next year will be my year,” he added.Photo: Credit Leaderboard Photography. 5 Aug 2019 Gough claims Men’s Amateur title
Editor’s note: John Burton and Nancy Burton’s husband Rob are cousins. By John BurtonHIGHLANDS – Valentine’s Day is an important day for many, but most definitely for a florist. This year, it’s more important than ever for Nancy Burton.Burton’s shop, In the Garden, was heavily damaged in late October by Super Storm Sandy. Since then she has been working feverishly to get everything completed for its planned Feb. 14 reopening. She is hoping to take advantage of the business that day – Valentine’s Day – tends to offer those in her line of work.The day also has a special significance for her business.Nancy Burton stands in front of her florist shop, In the Garden. She has been working to get her Highlands floral and plant studio ready to reopen on Valentine’s Day.Burton initially opened In the Garden in February 2005 – Feb. 7 to be exact – first on the corner of Bay Avenue and Miller Street. She moved the business about two years ago to its current location, 69 Waterwitch Ave. Coming back and reopening on Feb. 14, as Highlands continues coming back, resonated with Burton.“It just seemed really appropriate,” she said. “I’m kind of excited to open on Valentine’s Day, for the business and to be able to pay back some of the costs. But it’s also the nostalgia of Valentine’s Day” in relation to when she first opened.Burton, a 37-year-old lifelong Highlands resident, said she walked back into the borough after Sandy when authorities weren’t letting anyone drive in. She was worried about her borough home and her business.Her home was flooded with about 32 inches of water, keeping her and her family out of it for more than 20 days during which time they lived with friends in Atlantic Highlands. The repair work at home is continuing.Burton had prepped her business for the storm, storing equipment on upper shelves, unplugging and putting electrical devices away and not restocking the refrigerators following a couple of large event orders she completed just prior to the storm. She believed the shop should be all right if the water rose to about 3½ feet. But the water came in and rose more than 5 feet, Burton said, pointing to a marker still on the shop’s wall, put there by a Federal Emergency Management (FEMA) inspector, showing the water’s height.“I couldn’t believe my eyes. It was worse than I could have imagined,” she said of the damage caused by the storm. “It looked like a tidal wave came through the store.”She recalled how items were washed up toward the shop’s front, including her more than 7-foot tall floral refrigerators that had actually floated in the floodwater. Her front window had been smashed, as well.“Everything that wasn’t latched down got washed out with the tide,” she said.As she surveyed the damage, she stood in front of her store, “a local guy walked by and gave me a big hug and I just cried.”Since then, Burton has moved forward, forming a new partnership with her two former co-workers, Jenna Morris and Eileen Rico, and the three have been working to get the business up and running again.Burton said it will cost her about only $10,000 to get the operation back on track, thanks to the work contributions of her father, a woodworker, and a nephew’s construction business.In The Garden is a floral and plant studio where Burton and her partners specialize in weddings and other special events, garden design and maintenance.Burton said working with plants and flowers “is basically in my blood.” Both her mother and grandmothers have been avid gardeners.Burton studied at the New York Botanical Garden School of Professional Horticulture. She had been thinking about starting her own business – another longtime dream – and opening a floral and plant studio seemed appropriate, she said.Burton, who has returned to her Highlands home with her two toddler sons and husband Rob Burton, a Highlands police officer, insisted, she is here to stay. “We were able to grow up here,” on the shore, loving all that it provided. “I want the same for my kids.”She also jokes that, given what she and her neighbors have gone through with this and previous storms, “the webbing on my feet gets a little thicker.”