Gritty soul outfit Southern Avenue, made up of powerful sisterly duo of Tierinii and Tikyra Jackson on vocals and drums, respectively, along with Israeli-born blues guitarist Ori Naftaly, bassist Daniel McKee, and keyboardist Jeremy Powell, have been earning their stripes out on the road for the last year. On Saturday night, April 1st, the group will return to New Orleans for a show at legendary venue Tipitina’s with special guests Wonderland.While Southern Avenue has only been together for a little over a year, they have already made their mark on the Beale Street crowd in Memphis and beyond. With appearances on their self-titled debut album from the likes of guitarist Luther Dickinson (North Mississippi Allstars) and trumpeter Mark Franklin (The Bo-Keys), Southern Avenue is making a clear case for their ascension in the rock world.The group came together when Israeli-born guitarist Ori Naftaly met singer Tierinii Jackson; the two had an instant musical connection. According to Ori, “When I saw Tierinii perform, I thought, ‘This is why I came to America.’ I met her and we clicked. At our first rehearsal, she told me that her sister was a drummer, and she thought it would be great to have her in the band. We had such a good vibe, and suddenly I didn’t care so much about my solo thing.” And the rest, as they say, is history.Purchase tickets for the show here. For additional show information, check out the Facebook Event page here.
Jose Suarez’s rocky start sinks Angels in loss to Astros “I was just sore after that day,” he said. “I went in and talked to the trainers, and I haven’t felt anything since, so hopefully that continues and after my 10 days are up, I’m back with the team.”Middleton is eligible to be activated on Tuesday, the first day of a two-game series at Colorado.In the meantime, Manager Mike Scioscia has a few options for the ninth inning. Jim Johnson has pitched well and has the most closing experience. Cam Bedrosian has also bounced back from a rough start to pitch better lately.Rookie Justin Anderson, who made his major league debut last week, also seems to have quickly ascended the bullpen ladder, having come into high-leverage spots against the Houston Astros and New York Yankees already.OHTANI UPDATEAfter missing two games with a mild left ankle sprain, Shohei Ohtani returned to the lineup as the designated hitter and hit a line drive down the left field line for a double. It remains unclear when he’ll be able to pitch again. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “That was a great experience for me, but right now it’s too early in the season, and I can’t really say,” he said through his interpreter. “I just need to take it day by day and try to get better. Hopefully I’ll be chosen.”Matt Shoemaker, who went on the last tour in 2014, said he enjoyed the experience.“I wish I could do it every year,” Shoemaker said. “I loved it. It was a blast.”ALSOShoemaker (forearm stiffness) said he’s now throwing at a distance of 150 feet, so he believes a bullpen session “has got to be close.” …Blake Wood (elbow impingement) said he is still throwing, but he has not yet thrown a bullpen session since he’s been on the DL. Wood said he is pain-free now. …Eduardo Paredes was recalled to take Middleton’s roster spot. The Angels will need to make another roster move to bring up a starter for Thursday’s game. …Third baseman Zack Cozart got a routine day off. …Outfielder Michael Hermosillo hit for the cycle, including a grand slam, for Triple-A Salt Lake City on Tuesday night. Hermosillo, one of the Angels’ top prospects, drove in six runs. He is hitting .275.UP NEXTAngels (Andrew Heaney, 0-1, 6.91) vs. Orioles (Dylan Bundy, 1-3, 2.79), Wednesday, 7 p.m., Fox Sports West, KLAA (830 AM)Related Articles Mike Trout, with bat and glove, helps Angels end losing streak Ohtani played some light catch on Tuesday, but he did not have the bullpen session that he will need before the Angels can put him back into the rotation. Because the left foot is his landing foot, he needs to be able to stress it about 150 times, including warm-up pitches, before he can start.“We want to give this thing enough time to where when he pitches it won’t be an issue,” Scioscia said. “We’re going to take it day to day on the pitching side.”Scioscia has said Ohtani will pitch sometime over the weekend in Seattle. They have Garrett Richards and Tyler Skaggs both available to pitch on Friday and Saturday, each on five days rest, so they could wait until Sunday to give Ohtani the maximum time off.BACK TO JAPAN?Major League Baseball announced it will be sending an All-Star team to Japan for a series of exhibition games in November, as it has done every few years.Obviously, Ohtani would be a natural candidate to make that trip, but it’s too early to predict which players will go. In many cases, it depends on a player’s workload during the regular season. Ohtani played for the Japanese team in 2014, but he wasn’t ready to say if he planned to go back this time. Angels offense breaks out to split doubleheader with Astros Clippers, Mavericks brace for the unknown in Game 4 Angels’ Shohei Ohtani spending downtime working in outfield ANAHEIM — The bad news is Keynan Middleton, who had just emerged as the Angels’ closer, had to go on the disabled list.The good news is that Middleton thinks it’s not serious.“Not concerned at all,” he said after being placed on the disabled list Tuesday with elbow inflammation.Middleton said he began to feel some discomfort last week in Houston, and it got worse after he pitched on Friday night, when he blew his first save opportunity in seven tries.
Vandalised cablesIn light of repeated wilful damage to its fibre-optic cable network, GTT has disclosed that the company would be offering $1 million for information that would lead to the incarceration of the vandals.This was disclosed by GTT Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Justin Nedd at a press conference at the Public Telecommunications Ministry on Wednesday.“We hope that with the reward; we get more people coming out to say what theyPublic Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes (centre); GTT CEO Justin Nedd (right) and another officialsaw that will lead to the conviction of criminal elements and the reward is $1 million,” Nedd stated.The CEO believes that rogue elements are continually sabotaging the company’s fibre-optic network and noted there were four such instances of sabotage recorded over the last 10 days. The affected communities included Mahdia, Linden, Mabaruma, Bartica, Kwakwani and Ituni where mobile, and Internet and landline telephone services to over 20,000 homes were disrupted.Nedd explained that the damaged fibre-optic cables were like pieces of broken glass, which, according to him, have no value unlike copper wire, which is often vandalised. He stressed that the vandals “know what they are doing” and added that the damage to the cables was destroying the country’s communications infrastructure and Information Communications Technology (ICT) growth.“What we have is damage to the nation’s infrastructure by criminal-minded organisations or individuals who don’t want to see our country progress. It is clear that we have enemies and having enemies means that we stand up for something. The recent spate of sabotage will only impair ICT growth and growth of Guyana,” the GTT CEO told the media briefing.Under the nation’s laws, persons who destroy various categories of communications equipment are liable to a misdemeanour and can face up to two years in jail. Public Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes told the media gathering that Government intended to deal with the perpetrators, and noted that more CCTV cameras would be placed in key areas across the country to catch the culprits. She noted that tele-medicine, online-based school projects and the general ability of the public to access online services were all hindered.“Anybody that is callous and uncaring to cut a cable that prevents people in the event of a personal emergency, who can’t even pick up the phone to make call; students that might be preparing now for mock exams – whatever the scenario is, it is totally unacceptable and we will deal with the perpetrators,” the Minister strongly expressed.She reiterated that Government would go to the full extent of the law to ensure that the practice was stopped and she further appealed for fair competition in the sector.“We will go the full extent of the law. If this happens to be some warped sense of competition, I want to say that in the spirit of fair competition and trade, all should be allowed to conduct legitimate and responsible business,” she notedAn active investigation into the destruction is ongoing, but the company maintained its silence on individuals or institutions it possibly suspects of the reported “sabotage”. The company explained that it has spent some $50 million over the last 12 months – money which it said could have gone to improve bandwidth services, but stressed that the damage would not slow its progress.The hotline number to report vandalism is 0908.
Independent Councillor Micheál Choilm Mac Giolla Easbuig has called the expulsion of a Russian diplomat from Ireland “bizarre and weak” following the Salisbury nerve agent attack earlier this month.The decision, the west Donegal Councillor says, is “another example of our neutrality eroding.”Minister for Foreign Affairs and Tanaiste Simon Coveney says that Ireland is terminating the diplomatic status of a member of staff working for the Ambassador of the Russian Federation Yuriy Filatov in line with the provisions of the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations. The individual in question is required to leave the jurisdiction. At last week’s European Council meeting, EU leaders unanimously agreed with the United Kingdom government’s assessment that the Russian Federation is “highly likely” to have been responsible for the attack in Salisbury on 4 March 2018, and that there is “no plausible alternative explanation.”The expulsion is a mark of “unqualified solidarity with the United Kingdom,” Minister Coveney says.“The use of chemical weapons, including the use of any toxic chemicals as weapons, by anyone, anywhere, is particularly shocking and abhorrent. The attack in Salisbury was not just an attack against the United Kingdom, but an affront to the international rules-based system on which we all depend for our security and wellbeing,” Coveney stated.In response, Cllr. Mac Giolla Easbuig is calling on Government Chief Whip Joe McHugh TD to “explain to the people of Donegal why the government has expelled a Russian Diplomat.” Mac Giolla Easbuig adds: “It seems the Dublin government is hellbent on bringing us closer to NATO,“Russia seems to be the new bogeyman for the west and it’s hypocrisy of the highest order for the government to expel a Russian diplomat on the word of another State while MI5 operate brazenly in Ireland and when Israeli agents stole Irish passports to use in murders in Europe there was very little fuss made.”“There is very little support for this move and I genuinely believe that the vast majority of the people want our neutrality intact.“Ireland has always acted independently on foreign policy but it seems this government is happy to work on the request of the EU and the UK.” Do you agree with the expulsion of the Russian diplomat in Ireland?YesNoUnsureVoteView ResultsCrowdsignal.com