By Energeticcity.ca staff For a copy of the provincial budget, click on the attachment below.Advertisement More than $1 million has also been pledged to the already-completed Pouce Coupe Fire Hall.And, the Northern Lights College in Dawson Creek will begin working on its nursing facilities expansion program, which received $2.5 million in joint federal and provincial funding.But, there were no new infrastructure projects outlined for the North Peace in the 2010 budget.This year’s budget focuses on three areas, including funding vital public services, cutting back on spending, and continuing to stimulate and sustain economic growth.Advertisement The Provincial Government has announced its 2010 budget.- Advertisement -There’s little in it for the Northeast, and it’s much the same across the province.Locally, the Fort St. John Hospital and Residential Care project is included in the 2010 budget. After contributing $50 million to the project last year, the province has pledged another $215 million, up until 2012. Meanwhile, projects that were given the green-light last year are also included in the budget. The Fort Nelson Recreation Complex received word last fall that it will get $5 million from the province, to go towards the more than $30 million facility.Advertisement The Liberals’ resource ministries have had their budgets cut by more than $300 million. About the only sports-related initiative is $60 million for a Sports and Arts Legacy programing, which comes on the heels of massive sports and arts cuts.The budget also includes the controversial Harmonized Sales Tax, which is expected to take effect at the beginning of July. B.C. Finance Minister Colin Hansen says the Liberals plan to use revenues from the HST, to fund rising health care costs.The deficit is estimated to meet the target of $2.8 billion.The Province is aiming for a balanced budget by 2013/2014.
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREChargers go winless in AFC West with season-ending loss in Kansas City“The administration can’t have it both ways,” Sen. John D. Rockefeller IV, the West Virginia Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, said in a statement after the president’s remarks. “I’m tired of these games.” In two separate legal opinions written in 2005, the Justice Department authorized the CIA to barrage terror suspects with a combination of painful physical and psychological tactics, including head-slapping, simulated drowning and frigid temperatures. The memorandums were written just months after a Justice Department opinion in December 2004 declared torture “abhorrent.” Administration officials have confirmed the existence of the classified opinions, but will not make them public, saying only that they approved techniques that were “tough, safe, necessary and lawful.” On Friday, the deputy White House press secretary, Tony Fratto, took The Times to task for publishing the information, saying the newspaper had compromised America’s security. “I’ve had the awful responsibility to have to work with The New York Times and other news organizations on stories that involve the release of classified information,” Fratto said. “And I could tell you that every time I’ve dealt with any of these stories, I have felt that we have chipped away at the safety and security of America with the publication of this information.” WASHINGTON – President George W. Bush, reacting to a congressional uproar over the disclosure of secret Justice Department legal opinions permitting the harsh interrogation of terrorism suspects, on Friday defended the methods, declaring, “This government does not torture people.” The remarks, Bush’s first public comments on the memorandums, came at a hastily arranged Oval Office appearance before reporters. It was billed as a talk on the economy, but after heralding new job statistics, Bush shifted course to a subject he does not often publicly discuss: a once-secret Central Intelligence Agency program to detain and interrogate high-profile terror suspects. “I have put this program in place for a reason, and that is to better protect the American people,” the president said, without mentioning the CIA by name. “And when we find somebody who may have information regarding a potential attack on America, you bet we’re going to detain them, and you bet we’re going to question them – because the American people expect us to find out information – actionable intelligence so we can help protect them. That’s our job.” Without confirming the existence of the memorandums or discussing the explicit techniques they authorized, Bush said the government’s interrogation methods had been “fully disclosed to appropriate members of Congress.” But his comments only provoked another round of recriminations on Capitol Hill, as Democrats ratcheted up their demands to see the classified memorandums, first reported Thursday by The New York Times. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!