At a hospital treating infected patients in Beijing, Xi on Monday called the situation at the epicenter “still very grave” and “more decisive measures” to contain the spread of the virus, said state broadcaster CCTV.Xi has largely kept out of the public eye since the virus outbreak spiraled across the country from Hubei province to infect more than 42,000 people.He appointed Premier Li Keqiang to lead a group tackling the outbreak and it was Li who visited ground zero in Wuhan last month.On Monday, Xi put on a blue mask and white surgical gown to meet doctors at Beijing Ditan hospital, observe the treatment of patients and speak via video link to doctors in Wuhan, state media said. He then visited a residential community in central Beijing to “investigate and guide” efforts to contain the epidemic, said CCTV.Video footage showed Xi having his temperature taken with an infrared thermometer then speaking with community workers and waving at smiling residents leaning out of apartment windows.The outbreak has prompted unprecedented action by the Chinese government, including locking down entire cities in Hubei as well as cutting transport links nationwide, closing tourist attractions and telling hundreds of millions of people to stay indoors.The sweeping measures have turned cities into ghost towns — but there were some signs of normality returning as many went back to work this week.’We’re worried’ Roads in Beijing and the financial hub of Shanghai had significantly more traffic, while the southern city of Guangzhou said it would start to resume normal public transport.However, many of those returning to work were uneasy.”Of course we’re worried,” said a 25-year-old man surnamed Li in a Beijing beauty salon that reopened Monday.”When customers come in, we first take their temperature, then use disinfectant and ask them to wash their hands.”The Shanghai government suggested staggered work schedules, avoiding group meals and keeping at least one meter (three feet) away from colleagues.Many were encouraged to work from home and some employers simply delayed opening for another week.State media reported that passenger numbers on the Beijing subway were half that of a normal working day.Large shopping malls in the capital were deserted and many banks closed.One bank employee in Shanghai was heading to work for a half-day, with other workers due to take over in the afternoon.The rest of the day he would work from home.”It makes our work more difficult,” he told AFP.Schools and universities across the country remained shut.The toll has overtaken global fatalities in the 2002-03 SARS epidemic when China drew international condemnation for covering up cases, though Beijing has drawn praise from the World Health Organization this time.’Go back’ An advance team for a WHO-led international expert mission on the virus arrived in China late Monday, headed by Bruce Aylward who oversaw the organization’s 2014-2016 response to the Ebola epidemic in West Africa.Ahead of the team’s arrival, WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus warned there had been some “concerning instances” of cases overseas in people with no travel history to China.”We may only be seeing the tip of the iceberg,” he tweeted.Aboard the quarantined Diamond Princess cruise ship moored off Japan, another 65 people were diagnosed with novel coronavirus, the health ministry said, bringing the total number of known infections on the ship to 135.The Diamond Princess has been in quarantine since arriving off the Japanese coast early last week after the virus was detected in a former passenger who disembarked last month in Hong Kong.Beyond Asia, Britain recorded a doubling of cases to eight, and the government warned the outbreak of novel coronavirus was a “serious and imminent threat”.And US President Donald Trump said he expected the outbreak would disappear in April due to hotter weather, despite top US health officials warning against commenting on the epidemic’s trajectory. The toll from China’s deadly coronavirus outbreak passed 1,000 on Tuesday after President Xi Jinping called for more “decisive” measures to tackle the outbreak in a rare visit to a frontline hospital.The Chinese president donned a facemask and had his temperature checked while visiting medical workers and patients affected by the deadly coronavirus that has killed at least 1,011 people.The fatalities soared after hardest-hit Hubei province — the epicenter of the outbreak — reported another 103 deaths on Tuesday, the highest single-day toll since the virus emerged. Topics :
Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Judy Ann’s 1st project for 2020 is giving her a ‘stomachache’ View comments LATEST STORIES MOST READ Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny But a loss by the Stags will make the showdown between Arellano and Letran on Friday the decider for the last Final Four spot.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Rey Nambatac. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/ INQUIRER.netThere was no way Rey Nambatac was leaving Letran with a stunning defeat.Nambatac, who is set to turn pro late this month, bailed the Knights out with crucial baskets down the stretch for a thrilling 66-60 victory over the St. Benilde Blazers that forged a playoff for a Final Four berth in NCAA Season 93 basketball tournament on Tuesday.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson Surging Ateneo eyes repeat vs NU The lefty guard finished with 18 points, including a three-point play with 20 seconds remaining that helped the Knights finish with a 9-9 record at the end of the elimination round.“I have some unfinished business with Letran,” said Nambatac.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smog“I want to make the Final Four then the finals and hopefully get a championship again. I’m not thinking that this was my last game. I just went all out as soon as I entered the court.”With Arellano beating Mapua, 81-64, earlier to also finish with a 9-9 record, the Chiefs and Knights will face off in a stepladder playoff for the last Final Four spot in the event that San Sebastian prevails over Perpetual Help this Thursday. Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson
CLICK HERE if you are having a problem viewing the photos or video on a mobile deviceOAKLAND – The Warriors did not offer an NBA Finals preview. Instead, they displayed regular-season sluggishness.The Warriors fell to the Toronto Raptors 113-93 on Wednesday at Oracle Arena, marking two distinct differences from when they played nearly two weeks ago. Unlike their three-point overtime loss in Toronto that Steve Kerr called “the most entertaining game of the year so far,” the …
The new Protection from Harassment Act will come into effect on 27 April 2013.The new anti-harassment law will enable South Africans to approach the courts for protection from sexual harassment, including harassment via SMS or e-mail. (Image: Pixabay)Brand South Africa reporterThis year’s Freedom Day will not only mark 19 years of democracy, it will also see the new Protection from Harassment Act come into effect, enabling South Africans to approach the courts for protection from sexual harassment – including harassment via SMS or e-mail.Those hiding behind anonymity to send offensive SMSes will be able to be traced because the Act compels service providers to give the addresses and ID numbers of offenders when asked to do so by the courts.Currently, only people involved in a domestic relationship can seek recourse if they are the victims of domestic violence. They can obtain a protection order to ensure protection from the person with whom they are in a relationship.The chairman of Parliament’s portfolio committee on justice and constitutional development, Luwellyn Landers, said this left people not in a domestic relationship unprotected against harassment.“With the new law, they’ll have protection. They can approach a Magistrate’s Court and get an interim protection order, which comes into effect immediately upon being issued. Protection is immediate,” Landers said.The Protection from Harassment Act covers as many types of sexual harassment as possible because “sexual harassment comes in many forms”.“Suppose a woman was standing at a bus stop or taxi rank every day and was being pestered daily by a person, whom she didn’t even know, and who was making funny remarks,” Landers explained.“The victim of this unwanted attention can then go to a Magistrate’s Court to see the Clerk of the Court to persuade him or her that there was a case of harassment.”The clerk will assist the complainant to approach the Magistrate’s Court for an interim protection order, which will be given if the court is satisfied that there is enough substance in the complaint.In cases where the victim does not know the address of the stalker, mobile phone service providers can be approached for these details, as well as ID numbers. The Acts states they have to supply this information to the courts.“This is an order of a Court of Law which takes effect when granted. So the complainant doesn’t have to wait for it to be served and the stalker [to] sign acknowledging receipt of the document before the order comes into operation,” Landers said.“The order must be given to the person doing the stalking. The order must be served by the police, and the onus will be on the Clerk of the Court and not the complainant to see that it’s served on the person concerned.”The person on whom the interim protection order has been served will be given time to respond as to why it should not be made permanent.The complainant will also get a certified copy of the interim protection order to present to the police in case the harassment continues.It is not only victims who can appeal to the courts for help. Adults can ask the court for assistance in the case of minors whose parents fail to seek legal help. Further, people who have obtained an order against domestic violence may also apply for an interim protection order, Landers said.“This is an excellent law as it fills a gap that always existed in our law.”Source: South African Government News Agency.Would you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
Essential Reading! Get my 3rd book: Eat Their Lunch “The first ever playbook for B2B salespeople on how to win clients and customers who are already being serviced by your competition.” Buy Now You can’t win if you have already lost in your mind. Nothing has a greater impact on your results than what you believe. Your results are a reflection of your beliefs.Holding the belief that your competitors are stronger than you will cause you to lose to those competitors. But not because your competitors are stronger than you are. You’ll lose because you don’t believe that you can win, that you deserve to win. And your dream clients will be right to choose your competitors. This contest was lost before it started.Holding the belief that your clients want the lowest price will ensure that your clients buy from a competitor with a lower price. Not because your prospective clients really want the lowest price (they don’t). You’ll lose because you don’t believe that you are worth paying more to obtain. And all things being equal, your clients will be right to choose the lowest price. You didn’t believe enough to make things unequal.Believing that your company is wrong, that “they” are to blame for the difficulty you have selling, that they aren’t trying to produce good results for their clients, or that their motives are suspect, is the fast track to failure. If you don’t believe in your company, I promise you can’t sell it. First, you won’t create many opportunities because you’ll pull your punches. Second, your beliefs will betray you. You will lose opportunities because you don’t believe your company deserves them. That loss happens in your head long before your prospective client informs you that they’ve chosen your competitor.Your company has big, strong competitors? Believe you can slay giants.Your competitors sell price? Believe your clients want to pay more for more value—and then create and deliver that value.Your company has problems? Yeah? Like every other company. Believe—and help make a difference by helping make improvements (or else you are part of the problem).You are what you believe. And your results a reflection of what you believe. If you believe you have already lost, you lose before there is ever a contest. Believe otherwise.QuestionsDo you have any beliefs that don’t really serve you? Do you have beliefs that cause doubt?What do you believe that causes you to first lose in your mind? Well, not you, but someone you know well.Why do your beliefs cause you to lose opportunities?How do your beliefs cause you to lose opportunities?
Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ All five of his victories have come on clay.Despite losing, 25-year-old Hanfmann, the world number 170, enjoyed the best result of his career this week in reaching the final, having also knocked out third seed Feliciano Lopez of Spain in the second round.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES DILG, PNP back suspension of classes during SEA Games FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Spanish Liga to file complaint vs PSG over Neymar Italy’s Fabio Fognini kisses the sign of Gstadd after winning his final game against Germany’s Yannick Hanfmann at the final of the Swiss Open ATP 250 tennis tournament on July 30, 2017 in Gstaad. / AFP PHOTO / Fabrice COFFRINIFabio Fognini beat Yannick Hanfmann 6-4, 7-5 in the Gstaad ATP tournament final on Sunday to win his fifth tour title.The 31-year-old Italian, ranked 31 in the world, was playing in his 13th ATP final.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo MOST READ National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress View comments