ELMIRA, N.Y. (WBNG) — The Elmira Police Department says two individuals were charged in connection to a robbery on Sept. 13. On Sept. 13, the police department responded to a residence in the 400 block of Franklin Street at approximately 1 p.m. for a report of two individuals who suffered gunshot wounds. Upon arrival, officers found out this was a home invasion robbery, and the suspects were shot. He was arrested upon release and arraigned in the Chemung County Court Youth Part. They say he was charged with three counts of robbery in the 1st degree, two counts of burglary in the 1st degree, two counts of criminal use of a firearm and two counts of criminal possession of a weapon in the 2nd degree. Police say he will appear in court again on Friday for further proceedings. Officials say the second individual was hospitalized at the time due to injuries. The police department says both suspects are 17-year-old males. They say one was charged with robbery in the 1st degree and remanded to a secure detention facility at the time of the crime. Anyone with more information about this incident is asked to contact the Elmira Police Department.
Jul 21, 2005 (CIDRAP News) – The World Health Organization (WHO) announced today that only one of three deaths blamed on avian influenza in Indonesia this week is known so far to have been caused by the disease, saying test results are still awaited in the other two cases.Meanwhile, the Indonesian government promised to take firmer measures to control the virus, which began killing poultry in the nation in 2003 but had caused no human deaths until now.Indonesian officials announced yesterday that a 38-year-old man and his two young daughters were the nation’s first H5N1 avian flu victims. The WHO said tests have confirmed that the man died of the illness. The daughters “died of severe pneumonia illness compatible with H5N1 infection,” but confirmation was not yet available in their cases, the agency said.”Limited samples were available from the 8-year-old daughter who died on 14 July, and the 1-year-old daughter who died on 9 July,” the WHO said. Previous reports had listed the older daughter as being 9 years old.The three victims lived near Jakarta. The 8-year-old fell ill on Jun 24 and was hospitalized Jun 28, the WHO said. The 1-year-old became ill Jun 29, and the father’s symptoms began Jul 2. He died Jul 12 after about 5 days of hospitalization.Samples from the father tested positive for H5N1 in WHO reference laboratories at the University of Hong Kong and at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, the WHO said. Samples from the two children were still being tested.Besides being Indonesia’s first H5N1 deaths, the cases have raised concern about possible human-to-human transmission of the virus, because the three victims had no known contact with infected poultry.Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported today that Indonesian officials promised to take stronger measures to control avian flu and admitted that they should have culled more poultry in past efforts.Health Minister Siti Fadillah Supari said an outbreak occurred in April at a pig and chicken farm 9 miles from where the family lived, but only limited culling was done there, the AFP story said. Supari said it was possible that the victims were infected by the virus from the farm.The story didn’t specify whether the farm was one of several where pigs were found to be carrying the virus, as the government reported to the World Organization for Animal Health (OIE) in May. The farms were in the Tangerang district, where the three victims lived.Supari said the poultry and pigs “should have been destroyed but it wasn’t the case at that time because some of them were vaccinated,” AFP reported.She promised the government would take firm action, including culling, surveillance of people who might have been in affected areas, preparation of hospitals to treat patients, and an information campaign about the virus.Agriculture Minister Anton Apriyanto said his agency would destroy animals on two pig farms in Tangerang and compensate the owners, according to a state news agency report cited by AFP. He said the ministry was allocating the equivalent of $10.7 million in emergency funds to tackle the disease.Supari said 21 provinces have had avian flu outbreaks since 2003, the latest in North Sumatra; Jambi, part of Sumatra; and Banten, which includes Tangerang, the AFP report said.The WHO said it was working with the Indonesian government and US Naval Medical Research Unit 2 to find potential sources of infection in the Indonesian cases.Supari said about 300 people who had possible contact with the victims still have shown no signs of illness, AFP reported.In other developments, the H5N1 virus was found in processed frozen duck meat shipped from China to Japan in 2003, according to an Associated Press (AP) report based on an article published online by the journal Virology.The WHO said this was not the first time the virus had been found in processed meat, but added that the finding demonstrates the virus’s toughness and widespread occurrence in Asian poultry flocks, the AP reported.See also:WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2005_07_21a/en/index.html
FILE PHOTO: Uganda’s Peruth Chemutai (2L) compete in the Women’s 3000m Steeplechase at last year’s Olympics.SHANGHAI Diamond League2.40pm800mRudisha2.45pm3000m SteeplechasePeruth Chemutai3.20pm5000mMercyline Chelangat Share on: WhatsApp Double Olympic champion David Rudisha is one of four Kenyan track stars set to take centre stage at the Shanghai Diamond League meeting Saturday May 13, when many of the greatest distance runners in the world will be stretching their legs in pursuit of early season points.Rudisha was fifth on his Shanghai debut 12 months ago and the 800m world record holder is relishing the chance to make amends as he takes on fellow-Kenyan Olympic finalists Ferguson Cheruiyot and Alfred Kipketer, plus Polish pair Adam Kszczot and Marcin Lewandowski.Shanghai is the second leg of the athletics Diamond League, following the opening Doha Diamond League on May 5, where Uganda’s Jacob Kiplimo featured and finished 7th in the 3000m.Two Ugandans will compete in Shangahi.Seventeen-year-old Peruth Chemutai, who finished 7th in the junior women’s race of the World Cross Country Championships, renews her 3000m steeplechase rivalry with several Kenyans and Ethiopians who did well in Kampala.Top on the list in Shanghai is Olympic 3000m steeplechase champion Ruth Jebet of Bahrain and silver medalist Hyvin Kiyeng from Kenya. The race is however a Shanghai event, and does not count to the Diamond League points.Mercyline Chelangat will run the 5000m that has a star field that includes Kenya Olympic 5,000m silver medallist Hellen Obiri.
By Bruce Fuhr,The Nelson Daily SportsThere must have been a full moon hanging over the Kootenay International Junior Hockey League this past weekend.Why else would 16 players be suspended for a total of 44 games over three days?“I don’t know maybe it really was a full moon,” KIJHL president Bill Ohlhausen said when asked if he knew why all the line brawls. “I have to admit as the president I’m a little disappointed but maybe it’s getting close to Christmas and the players are not thinking about the rules that are in place to stop these sort of events from happening.”The craziness started when Columbia Valley’s Guillaume Glasspoole was hit with a match penalty Friday. His sentence, three games.In Fruitvale Saturday, gloves starting flying between Beaver Valley and Nelson with 2:07 remaining in the third period.The line brawl cost Hawks’ Keanan Patershuk and Arie Postmus and Blake Arcuri and Cody Abbey of the Leafs each three games for multiple fights in the same stoppage. Game referee Jim Maniago handed out more than 145 minutes in penalties.Four Columbia Valley players and five from the Penticton Lakers were also suspended for, what else, multiple fights in the same stoppage.“The message is already out there,” Ohlhausen exclaimed. “Hockey Canada has decided any major penalty in the last 10 minutes o the game is an automatic one-game suspension.”“And multiple fights in the final 10 minutes or after the game are all things we as a league are trying to get through to the players that will not be tolerated,” Ohlhausen added. “It’s the same message the NHL is using to try to stop fighting.”Nelson coach Chris Shaw feels emotions may have started to escalate during an earlier game in Nelson between the Hawks and Leafs.Those emotions hit the boiling point during the final minutes Saturday.“It wasn’t anything that was cheap or dirty,” Shaw explained. “It was kind of a situation that happened where one player went to protect another one and then the other player went to protect his player that all turned into a line brawl.”“It’s not something that’s uncommon in the past in hockey but now a days you don’t see it happen that often,” added Shaw, part of the collateral damage from Saturday night, suspended for one game for his team being involved in four fights in the game.Abbey and Arcuri started serving their three-game suspensions Sunday, watching from the stands Nelson lose 6-5 in double-overtime. The pair is due to return January 2, 2011 in Spokane when Nelson faces the Braves. “I hope it was just a freak thing and it’s all over with now,” Ohlhausen said. “I hope it was just the players ready for the Christmas break and not thinking about the rules.”We can only hope because the next scheduled full moon is set for early January 2011, when the league begins the home stretch to the season following the Christmas [email protected]