Tag: 杭州龙凤妃子阁百花坊

Imprisoned Iran medics win prize for HIV work

first_img Share 23 Views   no discussions Share Sharing is caring! Tweetcenter_img Share HealthLifestyle Imprisoned Iran medics win prize for HIV work by: – June 17, 2011 Arash and Kamiar Alaei, seen here in this file image, were respected for their HIV workTwo Iranian doctors imprisoned for allegedly plotting to overthrow the government have been awarded a global health prize.Kamiar and Arash Alaei were arrested in June 2008 and accused of communicating with the US to unseat the regime of Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.One of the two brothers, released earlier this year, was able to accept the award in Washington.Kamiar Alaeia, 37, said they had never been involved in politics.He told the BBC World Service that a project they began in a small clinic was so successful it was replicated nationwide and in the neighbouring countries of Afghanistan and Tajikistan.“It was beyond borders really and the programme became part of the national strategic plan. When it was part of a national strategy all we did was part of the strategy and we never went into politics or other [things],” he said.The brothers began treating patients with HIV in the late 1990s, and developed a three-pronged program that integrated prevention, care and social support.Mr Alaei said Iran’s unique demographics, with 70% of the population being under 30 years old. meant that many in the country were at risk of HIV/Aids.“Approximately 50% of the general population are between 17 and 27 years old. So we have a huge number of people who are at risk of addiction, injection, sexually transmitted infections and other HIV-related risk factors.”Mr Alaei’s elder brother Arash, 42, remains in Tehran’s Evin prison where he is serving a six-year sentence.The brothers received the Global Health Council’s Jonathan Mann Award for Global Health and Human Rights.Kamiar, who was initially kept in solitary confinement, said he will not feel free until his brother is allowed to leave prison.“I feel I am not released yet,” he said in an interview with AFP.“The majority of nights I go back to prison and I continue my life in prison.”BBC Newslast_img read more

United ponder badge change

first_img Press Association “I described it to our staff that we are a 135-year-old club and that’s what you have to remember. We are a football club, a club with a capital C. “Strapped to that is a commercial business that’s going to fund a lot of the player purchases going forward here and we have to be supportive of both. “We’ve got to make sure they co-exist together but don’t impact each other and that’s where we are trying to balance it.” After replacing David Gill in the chief executive role at the beginning of the month, Woodward is on a steep learning curve. He is leading the attempt to sign Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona, whilst he might also be bracing himself for a transfer request from Wayne Rooney, who is said to be unmoved over his desire to complete the transfer of the summer by joining Chelsea. Initially appointed by the Glazer family to expand their commercial operation, Woodward works closely with the much-derided American family, whom he insists have no intention of selling the club despite reports of interest from Qatar. “They are long-term owners,” said Woodward. “They first bought the club eight years ago and there won’t be any change for many, many years.” Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward is considering whether to re-introduce the words ‘football club’ to the Red Devils’ badge.center_img The words were controversially removed in 1998 following an image change, irritating many supporters. Now Woodward, who returned early for United’s pre-season tour on “urgent transfer business” has been consulting with the Glazer family about reversing that move. Speaking to Sunday newspapers, Woodward said: “I didn’t like that change of badge. (Joint-chairman) Joel (Glazer) didn’t like that change. We will look at that and have a think about that. We are a football club, not a business. last_img read more

Eastern Cape to get first botanical garden

first_imgThe Cwebe Nature Reserve, on the Eastern Cape’s Wild Coast, is one of the province’s natural attractions. (Image: Eastern Cape Parks) Dignitaries sign a memorandum of understanding between Sanbi and the Eastern Cape Parks and Tourism Agency, as part of the commitment to establish two new botanical gardens in the province.(Image: Sanbi) MEDIA CONTACTS • Lavinia Subboo  Marketing manager, Eastern Cape Parks  +27 43 705 4400 • Sybert Liebenburg  Acting CEO, ECTPA  +27 43 742 4450 RELATED ARTICLES • Kirstenbosch best place to picnic • Teaching people to work with nature • New solutions for water conservation • Summer concerts at Kirstenbosch • Research to boost rooibos exportsChristel JordaanThe Eastern Cape province’s first national botanical garden has been proclaimed. It will be situated at the Kwelera Nature Reserve, part of the greater East London Coastal Nature Reserve which is overseen by the Eastern Cape Parks authority.Kwelera lies just north of East London, between the coastal towns of Gonubie and Queensbury.The announcement has been met with praise and approval, with the interim CEO of the Eastern Cape Tourism and Parks Agency (ECTPA), Sybert Liebenberg, describing it as “an absolute winner for the province”.While this is the province’s first national botanical garden, it will join nine others already established around the country.They include the Walter Sisulu, west of Johannesburg and famous for its nesting pair of Verreaux’s or black eagles; the stark but beautiful Karoo Desert in the Western Cape; and the world-famous Kirstenbosch on the Cape peninsula, which was the first botanic garden to be devoted to a country’s indigenous flora.The Kwelera reserve is currently managed by the provincial parks authority, but in future will be co-managed by the South African National Biodiversity Institute (Sanbi), which cares for the country’s botanical gardens.Ensuring ecological sustainabilityEnvironmental affairs minister Edna Molewa said in a statement that the botanical garden will be established in two phases.Phase one sees the official proclamation of the existing reserve as the Kwelera National Botanical Garden, while the second phase will involve the expansion of the existing facility onto adjacent land that will be bought during the 2012/2013 financial period.Under the international definition system relating to botanical gardens, Kweleza will be classified as a conservation garden, said Molewa, who has committed to the creation of two new national botanical gardens by 2014.“The role of botanical gardens in the provision and maintenance of ecosystem goods and services, thereby ensuring sustainable livelihoods, cannot be underestimated,” she said.“The establishment of the tenth national botanical garden is a major achievement in reaching the country’s conservation targets, ensuring ecological sustainability.”It is also hoped that Kweleza will boost tourism in the area, and help in educating residents of the region in the importance of conservation.Protecting South Africa’s floral diversityThe establishment of the other botanical garden in the Nelson Mandela metro area’s Port Elizabeth is also in progress. The development will encompass St George’s and Victoria parks in the city, as well as the 80ha Settlers’ Park, and Dodd’s Farm to the west of Settlers in the Baakens River Valley.The 23km-long Baakens River meanders through Port Elizabeth and joins the sea just north of the harbour. It is considered one of the city’s most precious greenbelt areas.At the announcement in 2011, Mandela Bay councillor Noluthando Mapu said that the various parks will have different focus areas. She said that St George’s will focus on plants from around South Africa and Victoria on endangered and vulnerable species.Settlers will be home to plants found naturally in the region and Dodd’s Farm will continue to be a recreation hub, with picnic, cycling and hiking facilities.Visitors will connect to the four areas via an eco-friendly transport system – the use of golf carts has been proposed.The development will create jobs for local people and will also address a number of security concerns, as the botanical garden will be fenced off and patrolled.In 2011 Sanbi, during a presentation in Port Elizabeth, mentioned a figure of R10-billion (US$1.3-billion) a year as the total economic value of the Cape Floristic Region, the world’s smallest but richest floral kingdom and a proclaimed Unesco World Heritage Site.The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality is part of this floral treasure, forming its western border. Most of the kingdom is covered with the indigenous vegetation known as fynbos, and of its 9 600 plant species, 70% grow only in this little part of the planet.last_img read more