A former Irish international showjumper has been fined €11,000 after being convicted of deception in relation to the sale of a pony called Spot.Michael Kearins of Knockbeg, Collooney in Sligo had pleaded not guilty to the charge of deceiving Sean Ewing to whom he sold a skewbald pony which turned out to be different to the one Donegal businessman Mr Ewing had agreed to buy. He had been due to be sentenced at the end of November but the case was adjourned to today after the court was told Mr Kearins had suffered a head injury after being thrown from a horse in America and he could not fly.Businessman Mr Ewing and his wife Terry had met Mr Kearins in Collooney in August 2012 after seeing an ad he had placed on DoneDeal. They viewed some ponies and agreed to buy two for their daughters.The ponies were to be sent to the Ewings’ home in Majorca where they were living at the time.The Ewings leaving court at an earlier siting.However, when the ponies arrived, Mr Ewing said he was flabbergasted to find that one of them was a completely different pony to the one they had viewed in Sligo.The Ewings had agreed to buy a skewbald pony called Buddy but another skewbald called Spot arrived in its place and the Ewings subsequently sent that pony and the other one, Teddy, back to Sligo.They could not make contact with Mr Kearins who moved from Sligo to the Netherlands.The Ewings made a complaint to gardai and detective Joe Scanlon said it took him seven and a half years to track Mr Kearins down.A statement issued on behalf of Sean Ewing after the case said “The Irish Equestrian industry, so important to so many in Ireland, is today supported by the Irish legal and judicial system in providing a clear message that the deceptive, deceitful and fraudulent “bait and switch” acts, as carried out by Michael Kearins, are not acceptable.“His effort to exploit international waters and distance, in sending a different pony to that purchased and his false boasting of being a “high standing” member of Show Jumping Ireland (SJI) so as to gain trust, carries no merit now.“Kearins continued his deception in avoiding the Gardai and addressing his fraudulent deception until justice prevailed this year, some 7 years later. His fabricated defence and the efforts he directed, to discredit those deceived, is reflective of his continued lack of a moral standard. His willingness to lie to the court, and to continue his deception, only exemplified his efforts to continue to try and cause more damage, regardless of the forum. This is now over.“This complaint was never about the money. It was about holding Kearins to account for his years of avoidance, after executing a blatant fraud, whilst placing an innocent child at risk. I truly hope as a result of this criminal conviction, that he may be less inclined to defraud and deceive a trusting parent or to place any child at risk in the future.”See full story https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2019/1205/1097291-spot-the-pony/Showjumper ordered to pay Donegal businessman €11k over pony sale was last modified: December 7th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:deceptiondonegalMichael KearinsponySALESean Ewing
30 October 2012 The proportion of South Africans with access to electricity, piped water and sanitation increased considerably over the past decade, according to the country’s latest national census. Statistics South Africa released the results of census 2011, the country’s third population count since democratic elections were first held in 1994, in Pretoria on Tuesday. The previous census took place in 2001.Access to electricity According to the census, conducted in October 2011, 84.7% of South African households use electricity for lighting (up from 70.2% in 2001), 73.9% use electricity for cooking (up from 52.2%), and 58.8% use electricity for heating (up from 49.9%). The results also show a significant improvement in access to piped (tap) water in South Africa, with the number of households with no access dropping to 8.8% in 2011 from 15.6% in 2001. Nearly half, or 46.3%, of households have tap water inside their homes (up from 32.3% in 2001), according to census 2011, while 27.1% have tap water inside their yards (down from 29.0%), 11.7% have tap water on their community stand less than 200 metres from their homes (up from 10.7%), and 6.2% have to walk more than 200 metres to reach tap water on their community stand (down from 12.4%).Household sanitation Census 2011 also showed a marked improvement in household sanitation in the country, with 60.1% of households using flush toilets (toilets connected to the public sewerage system) in 2011, up from 51.9% in 2001. The use of chemical toilets (from 1.9% to 2.5%) and pit latrines with ventilation (from 5.7% to 8.8%) were slightly up, while the use of unventilated pit latrines dropped from 22.8% to 19.3%, and of bucket latrines from 4.1% to 2.1%. Municipal waste removal services also improved compared to 2001, according to census 2011, with the number of households enjoying weekly municipal removals increasing from 52.1% to 62.1%.Living standards on the up At the same time, the number of households living in formal dwellings increased, from 68.5% to 77.6%, while the number living in traditional dwellings dropped from 14.8% to 7.9% and the number living in informal dwellings dropped from 16.4% to 13.6%. Compared to 2001, census 2011 also showed big increases in household ownership of mobile phones (from 32% to 88%), television sets (from 53% to 74%), refrigerators (from 51% to 68%) and computers (from 8% to 21%). However, the surge in popularity of mobile phones and television came at the expense of radio ownership (down from 73% to 67%) and landline phone ownership (24% to 14%). SAinfo reporter
The Punjab and Haryana High Court on Thursday issued notice to the accused and the Jammu and Kashmir government on a petition seeking an enhancement of the sentence awarded to the convicts of rape and murder of an eight-year-old girl in Jammu’s Kathua in 2018.A Bench of Justice Rajiv Sharma and H.S. Sidhu, while issuing the notice to the respondents, fixed the case for August 7.“The court has issued notice to all the accused and the State of Jammu and Kashmir in the matter,” lawyer of the victim’s family Utsav Bains told reporters.The girl from the nomadic Bakerwal community was kidnapped from Rasana area on January 10 in 2018 and found dead on January 17.The victim’s father had approached the High Court seeking an enhancement of the sentence awarded to six convicts. In his petition, he also challenged the acquittal of one accused.Last month, a special court in Pathankot sentenced three of the six men to life imprisonment and awarded five years in prison to the rest. One of the accused was acquitted.The victim’s father has pleaded that it’s a rarest of the rare cases and as per the standards set by the Supreme Court.
India were dealt a big blow ahead of the third cricket Test against New Zealand with pace spearhead Zaheer Khan being ruled out of the final rubber because of a groin injury.Young left-handed pacer Jaydev Unadkat has been drafted in the squad in place of him.Zaheer suffered an groin injury during the second cricket Test, which ended in a tame draw at the Rajiv Gandhi International stadium.”Zaheer Khan is injured and is unavailable for the Third Test against New Zealand, to be played at Nagpur from 20th November to 24th November,” BCCI secretary N Srinivasan said in a release.”The All India Selection Committee has chosen Jayadev Unadkat to replace Zaheer Khan in the squad,” it said.Zaheer was off the field for a good part of the fourth day. The left-handed pacer bowled just three overs during the fifth day.19-year-old Unadkat was named in India’s Under-19 squad for the 2010 World Cup in New Zealand. The left-arm fast bowler represents Saurashtra in the Ranji Trophy and has claimed 26 wickets in six first-class games at an average of 26.34.