Tag: Kayle

IMA Ponzi scheme Main accused remanded to ED custody till Jul 23

first_imgBengaluru: A special PMLA court here on Saturday granted a three-day custody of Mohammed Mansoor Khan, the owner of IMA Jewels, to the Enforcement Directorate (ED) until July 23 in connection with a multi-crore-rupee Ponzi scheme case, in which thousands of investors have allegedly been cheated. Khan, who had fled to Dubai, flew back to India and was arrested by ED officials after landing in New Delhi on Friday. He was brought back to Bengaluru on Saturday and produced before a special Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA) court, where the ED sought his custodial remand, officials said. Also Read – Squadrons which participated in Balakot air strike awarded citations on IAF Day A lookout circular was issued against Khan by both the Special Investigation Team (SIT) and the ED. The SIT had said its sources in Dubai persuaded Khan to come back and submit himself before the law. Over one lakh people had invested in IMA Jewels, which had floated 17 companies, and Khan had invited people, mostly Muslims, to invest in five such firms. A total amount of Rs 4,084 crore was invested in the company, the SIT had said, adding that Khan had to refund approximately Rs 1,400 crore to his investors. Also Read – Don’t use ‘lynching’ to defame India: Bhagwat Khan had fled to Dubai around a month-and-a-half ago, leaving thousands of investors in the lurch. He had promised to return to India and refund their money. Based on thousands of complaints, the SIT registered a case against him and others. It has so far arrested 22 people, including Khan, 12 directors of the firm, Deputy Commissioner of Bengaluru Urban district Vijay Shankar, Assistant Commissioner L C Nagaraj, a Bangalore Development Authority officer, a nominated corporator of the BBMP and a village accountant. Before fleeing, Khan had accused Shivajinagar MLA R Roshan Baig of the Congress of taking Rs 400 crore from him and not returning the amount. Baig had categorically refuted the charge, terming it as “false and frivolous”. The MLA, who has rebelled against his party, has since been suspended by the Congress for anti-party activities. Baig subsequently jumped on to the bandwagon of the other rebel MLAs who have resigned from their Assembly membership. The SIT had served a notice to Baig to depose before it on July 15, but he had sought time till July 26. The SIT had then asked him to be present before it on July 19. The day Baig was supposed to appear before the SIT, he had planned to fly to Mumbai by a special chartered plane, but the SIT detained him and quizzed him extensively. The SIT released Baig and asked him to appear before it again on July 19.last_img read more

Scores killed in barbaric attack on Mali village UN chief urges restraint

He also “strongly” condemned the attack and called on the Malian authorities “to investigate this tragedy”. The Secretary-General expressed his “heartfelt condolences” to the families of the victims, the people and the Government, and wished a “speedy recovery to the injured”, the statement continued. He urged the Government and all actors to “engage in intercommunal dialogue to resolve tensions and differences”. ‘Unspeakable barbarity’Meanwhile, the UN Stabilization Mission in Mali, (MINUSMA) said it was “extremely concerned” at the news of the attack, which has been corroborated by local authorities on the ground.Preliminary information points to the attack being led by a group of armed men, and according to news reports, many of the bodies of the dead had been burned. Clashes between Dogon hunters – who have a highly distinctive traditional culture dating back centuries – and the semi-nomadic Fulani herders, have become a growing flash point in recent years.While no one has yet claimed responsibility for this attack, tensions have been rising since the ethnic Dogon hunters were accused of carrying out a massacre on the semi-nomadic Fulani herders’ village back in March.The situation has passed the threshold of tolerable, and it is time for the nation to wake up – UN Special Representative in MaliSpokesperson for the UN human rights office (OHCHR), Ravina Shamdasani, said “these traditional disputes have always been there”, often fuelled by disputes over access to land and water. “But lately it has taken on a particularly deadly turn because entire Fulani communities – and we are talking about millions of people – are being painted as violent extremists simply because they are Muslim.”Sobanou-Kou village reportedly had around 300 inhabitants, and the mayor, said the death toll could increase, amid reports that some 19 people are still missing.The Special Representative in Mali, Mahamat Saleh Annadif, said he was “shocked and outraged” by the attack. “I strongly condemn this act of unspeakable barbarity”, he stated, adding that this “spiral of violence” underscores that there are no bad guys on one side and good on the other. “Everyone is responsible”, he stressed. “The situation has passed the threshold of tolerable, and it is time for the nation to wake up”, added the MINUSMA chief.As of Monday Morning, MINUSMA had coordinated its response in support of the Malian authorities and is mobilizing humanitarian assistance to the affected populations.Moreover, its security operations in central Mali are being redeployed to support the Malian Defense and Security Forces in securing and protecting the population. The UN mission also provided air assistance to help prevent further offenses.  And MINUSMA is currently deploying a special human rights fact-finding mission to investigate and bolster the Malian authorities in their judicial investigations.Mr. Annadif indicated that MINUSMA stands ready to back the Government in any action that may alleviate the situation. The Secretary-General said he was “outraged by reports that at least 95 civilians, including women and children, have been killed and many injured”, following the assault on Sobanou-Kou village in the Mopti region of central Mali, according to a statement issued by his Spokesperson.I am outraged by reports that at least 95 civilians, including women and children, have been killed following an attack yesterday in central Mali. My heartfelt condolences to the families of the victims, the people and the Government of Mali.— António Guterres (@antonioguterres) June 10, 2019 read more